Is This Ok For Iva

Guest garyfelton

Try with an old tennis ball which is (I believe) slightly smaller than the IVA ball.

If you can touch any sharp edges (includes the edge of the nose coon - or - cone :) ) then you would need trim or nut protectors.

I think there is the "invisible window" inside the wishbone volume which is excluded.

Again, check against the current regs as they are constantly changing.

Simon.

Looks to be a tidy job, inside the wish-bone "box" is exempt; outside still needs all "sharp bits & edges to be 5 mm radius or greater. So depending on thickness & finish of your fibre-glass; they ( fibre-glass edges) may still need edge trim.

( It now pays to add to your post ( this post included) that it is only the opinion of the poster; thus IMO & that the recipient takes note of the car owned/built by the information supplier & only uses that information as guidance NOT gospel.

Guest davidimurray

From the picture it looks like the lower wishbone mount could possibly be contacted by the ball. The ball can come in from any direction. For my wishbone mounts I put stretch boots onto the wishbone tubes, pushed up to cover the mounts and then zip tied to secure.

Guest garyfelton

I took the photos earlier today and have added an edge trim as I suspected it would be needed. I am only seeking opinions and realise that only when presented for IVA will I really find out.

Thanks for the replies. Gary

Hi,

for SVA (IVA may be different) the top locking nuts on the wishbones had to be covered as the nut does not pass the radius. I used some squash balls and siliconed them around the nut but you can buy covers i think or some people have used what i believe to be armoured cable glands eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWA-Armour-Cable-Gland-Pack-25mm-CW-Outdoor-Use-/160726866092?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item256c1158ac which look pretty much like http://www.kitspares.co.uk/shop/item.php?product=5093 (which aren't a bad price anyway). You might be able to pick up the glands at a local electical suppliers.

Not sure whether IVA changed the rules or my SVA tester was being tough but i had to cover the shock absorber too as it was not exempt for my test. But as i said this may have changed for IVA. either way i just used a large plastic gator (actually some air duct from the sierra) to cover the shock and mount.

oh also might be worth a nut cover on the lower ball joint (i had too for sva but again IVA may be exempt)

hth

Guest ali2992

this might be a really silly question, but i see a lot of people mentioning about the ball radius method, how do you actually do this? For example looking at the pictures you could get a tennis ball onto the wishbone mounting edges above? im completely new to this so sorry if a silly question!

No picture sadly but the test device is a 100mm sphere in a stick (50mm radius and it's normally not a complete sphere because a hemisphere is usually adequate to contact the relevant areas).

Any exterior edge that can be touched with the surface of the sphere must have a radius of curvature greater that 2.5mm. If the contactable edge protrudes less than 5mm from the main surface (like a badge) then the edge only needs to be blunted.

Functional grilles only need to have their edges blunted - but they must be functional i.e. admit air for cooling or induction. If they're decorative then they need to have the 2.5mm minimum radius (virtually impossible to achieve with a normal mesh type grille).

The entire area inside a zone bounded by 4 wishbones is exempt now where it wasn't for SVA so on a 2B or a Zero, the adjustable spring platforms and damper setting nuts don't beed to be blunted or radiussed.

Interior projections are broadly similar but the sphere is 165mm not 100mm and there are various zones where differing measurements are taken.

Soft parts (dash, interior trim etc) don't need any radius as long as they are less than 50 Shore hardness (about the same as a normal pencil rubber).

That's the very basic requirements, Section 16 of the IVA manual covers the Exterior in finer detail and other specific cases (and Section 12 for the Interior stuff).

• Like 1