Rear Diff Cover Bolts

Thrashed

Hi all

Have looked through the Haynes manual and can not find the size for the torx bolts holding on the rear diff cover. Got a leak that needs stopping but no idea on size. I have tried every torx bit I have an none are right!

Also what are the torque setting for tightening them up.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Steve

You may find that they are a right pig to undo even after finding correct torx bit as the ally & steel have "grown" together. We ended up drilling out the butchered remains & replacing with s/steel hex head sets.

Sounds like this could be fun then! any idea the torx size. I have a t40 and that's too small and a t55 but that's too big. Guess it will be a t45 or 50? Would a bit of heat help work them lose.

The drain plug came off easy enough with just the right socket

Thanks for the replies. Yes T50 torx. Access was a bit tight but tap with hammer and a long bar and they all came off easy enough.

No gasket that I can see? Is this right or is the reason it leaks? If no gasket can I use some wynn rtv gasket maker?

No gasket, no. Two surfaces should (should, he says!) be clinically clean and flat before re-assembly. Carefully clean with a knife blade, being careful not to score the metal, then some fine grit sandpaper to clean it up. Brake cleaner, wipe it clean, then re-assemble. If you go for any sealer I would be very conservative with it's application, and try and keep it out of the inside of the casing.

• Like 1