Noisy Tappet

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

It was indeed something/somebody stupid!

Oil pressure light switch was leaking slightly, oil pressure gauge union was leaking slightly, not sufficient in themselves to cause the issue. The issue was me trying to save a few quid and reusing the oil filter. In doing it up my brain went into muppet mode and I leaned on it rather than just nipping it. So seal was not seated and oil was pissing passed it!

Just fitted new filter and tightened / sealed threads then run it up to temp. Pressure gauge was all over the place as it settled down but now nice and steady.

Happy bunny again.

Guest lotusPaul

Nice Tim. Get that v8 rumbling.happy for you.

Edit due to auto correct thinking it could spell.

Edited by lotusPaul

Guest Tim Norman

Turns out oil pump was fubar, so had it remanufactured and a tadpole pressure relief valve fitted. Thing os as I have primed it with vaseline now 4 times there is more jelly than oil! you can actually here it squirting around!

Guest lotusPaul

Then take for a spin to warm up oil fully, and change it for a cheapish oil to flush it through. Run for a while and change with filter for your personal choice of propper oil.

Vaseline is a petroleum product ( was?) so why should it not completely dissolve in the oil ? Half a jar --50ml ?? in 4/5 litre of oil is hardly going to make any difference; is it?

Guest mower man

When I worked at a Rover franchise every fitter had a tub of vaseline in his kit ! we never redrained oil or worried , it would dissapear with no probs :crazy: mick