Emissions Failure

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Guest FIRSTBUILD

had an MOT on my Saxo VTS today and it failed on the emissions the scarry man said it was the worst reading he had seen from a Saxo.Anyone any ideas what is home checkable ? before I have to take it in for a hook up on the dreaded computer.

The readings were first fast idle CO 4-43%

HC .884

second fast idle CO 3.02%

HC .927

thanks for any info.

Have you got a leak anywhere in your exhaust system? It's amazing how much difference a wheezy gasket can make. Our Rover 618 failed on emissions a year or so ago and the figures went from a clear fail to a clear pass by tightening three nuts!

Hope it's this simple... ;)

Guest chris brown

If it is not a leak somewhere and it would have to be a big one then with the HC that high and high CO it almost looks like its either running on 3 or it is low on compression all round (does it use oil?) and its killed (poisoned) the cat.

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Chris , cats fine ! the car runs really well and uses no oil , I have had it 6 months and never had to put any in after the oil change.I think the exhaust has a slight blow from the back box but its tiny and you only know its there by the slight black stain.

My 106 failed on its lambda reading, the plug in the downpipe, straight swap with a new one, makes a lot of difference. Or the ecu could have had a nervous breakdown and be giving it the wrong mixture

Guest chris brown
I think the exhaust has a slight blow from the back box
That would only affect the lamda reading. I think your only option is to have a good check round all the obvious points then bite the bullet and get it on to a diagnostic scanner and check for fault codes as it may be a temp sensor or something which is telling the ECU to run rich.