Lightweight Do I Or Dont I

Guest newtothehood

Guest newtothehood

hi all i am new to this site ,i have been pondering off buildin a kit car i have come across an unstarted lightweight kit and i was wantin to know if u guys think it would be a good start, i haveread some threads bout strethning points please advise

I would just say no. Yes it can be probably be done but it is structuraly unsound as designed. You can re-engineer the kit to pass IVA but there is always the chance of structural failure due to the inherrent weakness of its alluminium riveted monocoque design. It's never going to have a significant safety margin over a locost chassis style kit. Buy something with a proper chassis.

Nigel

If you want to see a Lightwieght in the flesh I shall be at Stoneliegh over the weekend. Then you can deside if all the modifications you need to do is worth the investment. GDC is possiblely the best person to speak to.

Guest newtothehood

thanks guys that give me some food for thought the other problem i would have is i am from northern ireland so its not just a jump in the car and away up the road, i am not afraid off the work and i have got mates in engineerin ect, wot sort off price would i expect to pay for unfinished project

hi just saw this thought i might add .

to complete to iva standard i believe the lightweight needs an inner structure of a steel chassis .

this was not true of the sva , several lightweights have passed sva , all i believe were bonded and riveted .

i have recently sold a lightweight that was riveted and bonded and was the second to achieve sva ,

the guy is a member and is over the moon with the car .

i am going to be controverisial now ,i fully believe the lightweight if built correctly is a good car .

many have not been built correctly though.as a forinstance you hit a static obsticle in a 2b , you will hit hard and poss damage your body ie the human body , the chassis will take the hit your body prob wont .

in a lightweight the hit will be absorbed through the body of the car , dont get me wrong the car will prob be a rightoff. and before anyone posts the pics of the smashed one on a trailer , it wasnt bonded , plus he wasnt badly hurt .

they can be completed to a sutable standard but are very difficlt to do .

build a zero instead .

graham

for a track car i would pay £400 for the kit

thought i would add that the ss monos have structual issues also with cracking .