the lightweight is a weak chassis car, i defended it for

several years but eventual decided it was not good or even practical .my dif spun even with mods i had 190 horses .

an unmodified lightweight is a death trap in my opinion .swap the chassis out with a zero . the front shocks will fit the rear

you will need new front shocks .

the zero is far better than the lightweight .

scrap it like i have.

i feel a restoration coming on

regards graham

Finally after 9 years we agree on one thing, The Lightweight is not fit for purpose.

No amount of glitter will make this turd sparkle.

Dale

Edited by DRC7

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Robsparky99

Hi Everyone,

I'm a complete newbie to the kit car world, as such I've yet to collect a '99%' completed lightweight but deposit is paid (£200). Price is £1900.

I have now found out about the issues with the lightweight. I have spoken to the seller at length about it and he Is a really knowledgeable guy about the car, spending a large amount of money and nearly 9 years building! He believes he has made modifications that will mean it will pass IVA - bolting the front box sections where the suspension connects, added steel reinforcement to the seat belt anchors and adding angled sections to the underside.

He has huge amount of photos, paperwork, donor V5 & even was clever to get the title changed with a pre emissions zetec.....search robin hood lightweight gumtree and it will come up....

Have a chance at the IVA? or am I flogging a dead horse?

I need your advice

Edited by Robsparky99

I'm sorry to say, but for so many reasons I would walk away and loose your deposit.

Although I've had no personal experiences with building a lightweight, I've a good engineering background and having done loads of reading about their issues and I believe no amount of modifications solves the problems or would make the car safe......it is simply a badly flawed design all-round

To GDC's credit, he put more work and effort than anyone else I've seen into trying to resolve the issues and get the design to work......but as can be seen from his earlier post....even he arrived to the conclusion that the kit is no good.

I appreciate this isn't the kind of response you was hoping for, but do yourself a favour and walk away and buy a different kit......even if you got it through iva, I wouldn't feel particularly safe in one.

Guest Robsparky99

Thank you,

I have walked away... lost £200... my safety is worth more. I have learnt a valuable lesson not to go on an owners misguided view on something that is proven to be no more than scrap metal. I will go away lick my wounds and try again with plenty of research!!!!

No consolation but I recently walked away from a BMW purchase which cost me near £250 in checks and travel

Or did I save £11500

You did the right thing and saved a headache

If you had failed IVA on a chassis integrate issue you would have been in for many thousands with no way of recouping

• Like 1

Guest alexpink

If I was in your position, I would buy a completed, road legal car, then rip it apart and rebuild it how you want to. It's the easiest way and doesn't necessarily require an IVA as long as you are confident in your build quality. It'll save a hell of a lot of money, and even if you don't rebuild it straight away you can enjoy it on the road first and get to see what these cars are all about.

At least then you know it can be driven and you can actually use it, and you can pick up a Robin Hood on the road for sometimes as little as two thousand pounds; yes, you'll get what you paid for, but then you have a road legal car to play with and rebuild to your taste.

• 7 years later...

Makes me wonder how a brit kit car ended up in Sedro Woolley.

The light weight was intended as a limited life track car as I recall. Ali always has a fatigue life.

P.S. 12 years ago I was working in Mukilteo just down the road from you from a Brit perspective.