A Question For The Rhocaravan /rhocarahome Club.

Guest iank

Just after a bit of opinion from those of here that may be considered by some to be the spawn of beelzebub for owning caravans or more specifically motorhomes.

I'm looking at buying a motorhome ( 4 to 6 berth depending on layout ) so we can do some touring around the UK and Europe. Need a bit of feedback about the merits of various engines in these things. Not having owned one before.

Most of the ones I've been looking at have 2 or 2.5 or 2.8 diesel engines in what are essentially similar size vehicles.

Anyone owned such a vehicle with the smaller engines? I'm a bit concerned the smaller motors will struggle with the huge airbrake they are towing around and I'll end up driving everywhere in 3rd or 4th ( I had a 2L BMW diesel a few years ago and the only time I got it into 5th towing a caravan was going down hill). Am I worrying about nothing or should I go with my gut feel that the larger motor (with its larger thirst) is in fact the one that is better to live with?

And yes I know a 7L V8 is the one I should be looking at but my first name isn't Sheik :)

In anticipation of all the ridicule but hopefully also some useful information....

Ian

it would have to be the larger diesel engine for me you may think that it would use more diesel but if the engine aint labouring like the smaller ones then the mpg wont be that different to the smaller engines

that was my thinking too screaming the nuts of in 3rd and 4th is not exactly economical motoring

Guest Ian & Carole

What I would say Ian is, pester the hell out of the local dealers and find what layout, options etc work best for you and your family and accept that mechanically it will be fine and fit the bill.

Ian, we're looking at motorhomes as well.

We have put the miles in and visited a few shows (sad I know), but like you we were uncertain of the layout as the choice is varied as well as the type of motorhome.

At the shows we looked at every type and configuration there and finally settled on our preferred layout, size and type.

The dealers aren't like car salesmen - you can talk to them with no pressure to buy - quite refreshing.

Have investigated towing the kit with the van via an A-Frame so we can go out for the day without having to pack everything away daily. The size of the van will determine your maximum all up weight (including towing and passengers) - these figures are stated on the VIN Plate.

For larger vans you may also need Category C1 on your licence - but you are probably aware of this anyway!

Our next step is to hire one to see whether motorhoming is for us. The motorhome is booked and the misses is looking forward to heating when camping at Stoneleigh!

Yup,

I got a second hand caravan 2 days ago. A lightweight at just over 750kg. My car is a 1.8 and a bit of a wimp at that.

Mileage went down from 40 to 23 at 55mph.

So bigger engine for me (well next year or the year after)

Andi

Yup,

I got a second hand caravan 2 days ago. A lightweight at just over 750kg. My car is a 1.8 and a bit of a wimp at that.

Mileage went down from 40 to 23 at 55mph.

So bigger engine for me (well next year or the year after)

Andi

my 3.0v6 petrol dropped from 27 to 23 when towing a 1350kg van,

Guest 2b cruising

No matter if you are motor homing or towing. Finding the optimum power to weight figure can only be done by asking around in things like the caravan club.

Dealers will stay shy of the subject because the answers are so varied.

If you hire, take into consideration the engine will probably be on the small side because of purchase price. Therefor don't let the probable under powered engine influence your final decision.

Also don't go over the top as you will just be throwing fuel out of your exhaust.

6 berth Winibago Motorhome with all the knobs & whistles was our mobile home when the girls were at school --- really great for a lazy fool like me --- no need to pack & unpack beds/tables/seats & full wet-room & loo --- full size cooker & fridge -- central heating & air con.

Downside was the 6 ltr petrol engine -- 18mpg -- & it being 8 feet wide & 27 feet long. Ask Mo about driving through Lyme Regis.

My own personal advice would be go for a good sized torqueeeee diesel (2.0 - 3.0) with a lightweight shell (this should provide better mpg and help when travelling with family/luggage/waste/water up and down some of the steep hills around, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall ;)

Don't forget to get the van tested (or test yourself) for damp (this really depreciates the van price a lot) and look towards getting a van where the utilities (fridges etc....) can switch between gas and electric.

But above all, when viewing take all the family and try to get comfortable with the environment. Nothing worse than being trapped for a couple of weeks in an enclosed van bumping your head off the same cupboard door every morning when you wake-up. Or smacking your elbow on the kitchen side whenever your trying to wash-up etc.... This will soon leave a sour taste in your mouth and put you off touring quickly.

Also, if your on Facebook, then you can join some of the motor-home, caravan groups and put some of your questions, recommendations, suggestions forward for more advice (or find a bargain).

example:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/612085562179736/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/377889569037865/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Midland-Caravans-Motorhomes-LTD/120274131363568?fref=ts

Guest Gargoil

I wouldn't worry too much about engine size in a motorhome.

You don't go rushing around in these things and taking your time to get from A to B is part of the appeal.

Also, modern day diesels can cope with most of the demands you put on them.

What matters more (as already mentioned) is layout and if a motorhome suits you at all.

I found them restrictive when you got to site and no easier or quicker to pitch than a caravan.

If you intend to tow with one, that again is a minefield. So many rules and regs although you see a lot of people getting away with most of them.

However, some people love them so take your time when deciding. Get the best you can afford because upgrading can be expensive.

Edited by Gargoil