Bell Housing Conversion Plate.

Guest 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Hi all.

I am soon to start my engine conversion in my 2b.

I have found one supplier that will cut a plate for me to suit my mt75 box.

Being reportedly good for up to 300 lb ft, this matches the Vauxhall box on torque.

It would also save a massive amount of work on converting the drive train and cabin trim.

Does anyone know of other plate or ball housing converters that I can compare with.

Kind regard to all. Ken.

Guest nippynick

which mt75 box is it and what engine is fitted now and what engine is going in its place???? the mt 75 box i have in mine now is totally different to the one that came out when it comes to the belll housing

Guest 2b cruising

Sierra mounted to a 2lt DOHC.

Vaux z20 let going in.

I have an Omega diesel box to put in but trying to avoid needles modifications.

I also have not been able to compare gear ratios yet.

Why not a type 9 will the Xe bellhousing? I know alot of people say they are not up to the Job but it will be fine for the use it gets anyways. Saves faffing around with the mt75.

If you had raised this 2 months ago. I would have taken a pattern from my Xe bellhousing and scanned it in for you to trace out. but it has all been assembled and sat in the car.

Hi Ken, as you know, I have a BGH heavy duty gearbox behind a C20XE about 210bhp.

Been installed since 2008. Nothing but praise for BGH.

But 2 weeks before my annual France pilgrimage in July it started to whine & grumble.

I'm used to that, but this time I was on my own....... :)

Out with engine & box.....AGAIN.... & took it back to BGH.

They stripped it down & found the bearings worn out, despite being their uprated HD ones.

Anyway, new bearings & baulk rings installed, luckily all the gears were in top condition,

& still had the machining marks on them. All back in & off to France, & its been fine since then.

Apart from the rebuild costs!!! which were substantial, it meant engine & box out & back again

& its never at a convenient time.

To be on the safe side, I'd go for summat designed for more torque from scratch while you're at it.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest 2b cruising

I've met up with Tony Gillham from BTTC and Hard racing team recently.

I was in the garage next door to his workshops.

He showed me around and I was telling him my intentions.

He used to use type 9 at the start and spent many a few grand trying to get them to last.

He advised the same as yourself Bob. His words were " you are not going pro racing or you wouldn't even consider a chassis such as the 2b. Why waste money when many a box from mass production cars will easily meet your needs and beyond".

Both my mt75 and the Vaux box I have are spaced to 300 plus and rearely go wrong.

I was going to fit the Vaux but when I saw a plate to suit my needs, I am now considering keeping my mt75. To save to much tinkering with gear change, tunnel, had clutch and trim just to enticing a few things.

I can get a he clutch to put in and that should do fine.

After that I have a complete excellent condition rear end that I can fit an eBay badly advertised plat type LSD to fit with normal 3.6 ration. It's got 10.5 drums but I have discs to replace them with. So hopefully should all be good for next year.

ps Tony said he could get his lads to do the convention in 2 days. LoL, If he will guarantee that at 2 days labour £500, he can have the job.

I have had really good service dealing directly with Helix Clutches.

http://www.helix-autosport.com/home-page/

They supplied an HD cover plate, and a driven plate to suit the engine & box.

I have had the driven plate refaced just once, done while I waited for a very good price (comparatively!!).

Guest 2b cruising

Thanks for,your kind offer Al. I will keep it very much in mind.

Especially on the axle job which deffo is a two hand job.

I will let you know when I am about to start.