Hot Engine/timing Fault

Guest craig cowley

Guest craig cowley

when engine gets hot my timing goes to pot could this be down to disi as i have already changed rest of ignition system

also is it a good/bad idea to remove the thermostatic valve to get better cooling?

any comment greatly received

If you remove your thermostat it will take forever to get hot - which will not do it much good. If you have an auto choke it will stay on for ages as well.

No idea on the timing I'm afraid!

Andy

Guest Dunebug

Craig,

You haven't given much info. about what ignition system you're using, however if it's electronic (which it probably is) then your ignition amplifier might be overheating. These modules contain some pretty hefty power transistors which tend to run VERY hot if the module is not bolted on to a large metal heatsink.

John.

Guest craig cowley

its not the ignition module as this has been swapped its also bolted to the monoque chassis the ignition is a induction type small motercraft brick

Hi Craig...

The module need to be seated on heat transferring "Goop" to be effective.

Also how have you confirmed its the timing going to pot?

What symptoms do you have?

Problems with hot running are mostly fuel related in my experience, eg chokes sticking on.

Leave the thermostat in.

Bob.

Guest craig cowley

oh well best laid plans and all that been driving around today doing town trafic nice and hot did not skip a beat mind you the "goop" (heat sink compound)idea sounds like a goodun will put some on before drivin to stoneleigh i should know better iam an electronics engineer by trade :rolleyes:

again thanks to every one for the help