Side Reapeters

Guest Brian spencer

Guest Brian spencer

Hi guys first on here read loads of you good advice in iva testing looking to book mine now , I have a 2b plus and would like to know if side reapeters can go on the screen side frames it will give me to angles required I think but has anyone ever done it to get round the problem , most things I have read they go on the front wings . Not a great fan of wires running round the suspension and tyres .

For my IVA, I had them on the body side in several places. But the tester wasn't at all happy with any location on the body and wanted them on the outer edges of the front wings (in his words, just how "Caterham's had them"). I didn't want them there but decided that if that's where he wanted them, then that's where I was going to put them - anything to get a pass. After six years, I've had no problem with them.

-steve

Guest 2b cruising

Use a silkofix type fixant to hold the wire in the outer corner of the wing all the way around to the fixed point of the lamp.

If you use it the full length of the wire glued to the inside of the ing then cable tied along the one top arm of the wishbone, if these are used the it will be well secure and protected against stone or water damage.

Nearly everyone with lights fixed to wings use this method and resulting problems are rarely heard of on this subjects.

Also if you are using led lights power / current flow is much less so the cabling diameter are vastly reduced, making the job much easier.

Pre warning, if you use led bulbs in the indicators either all or a few of the, the easiest way to maintain the correct flash rate is to change over the flasher unit.

I've just done mine and I found this the easiest way as I was doing the front of he car, then the rear at a later date, enabling continual use of my car even with mixed bulbs.

If I am reading this correctly, it seems they are not compulsory unless the front indicators do not meet

the visibility criteria? But I may be wrong......it wouldnt be the first time.....

Figure 1A In addition, on M1 vehicles less than 6 m in length, side-marker lamps may be used, if they supplement the angles of visibility requirements of front position lamps or rear position lamps where the obligatory lamps do not meet. These marker lamps must be fitted as near to the front / rear of the vehicle as possible and in no case beyond the mid point of the front / rear wheel arch. These lights are not classified as Side Repeaters

If I am reading this correctly, it seems they are not compulsory unless the front indicators do not meet

the visibility criteria? But I may be wrong......it wouldnt be the first time.....

Figure 1A In addition, on M1 vehicles less than 6 m in length, side-marker lamps may be used, if they supplement the angles of visibility requirements of front position lamps or rear position lamps where the obligatory lamps do not meet. These marker lamps must be fitted as near to the front / rear of the vehicle as possible and in no case beyond the mid point of the front / rear wheel arch. These lights are not classified as Side Repeaters

I think this refers to side lights not indicators I read it the same as you the first time of course I could also be wrong wouldn't be the first time or the last!!

Guest Brian spencer

Cheers guys lots of helpfull info I think I will go with lamps on the front wings for the test seems to be most popular way of a pass , any one know if you need to use edge trims on the bonnet vents mine are 4.6 mm high and I think the radius 2.5mm only applys to projections 5mm and over ???

Guest 2b cruising

Officially no.

However, a member of the club did fail on this very point.

It seems his examiner was a little over the top as his first words to John were "Hello, My name is whatever he called himself". ( I think it was Mr Goone ) "I have only ever passed one kit car the first attempt and he was an aircraft engineer".

He took his car home and completed the list of failures, I think only one was a genuine fail point.

When he re-presented it a different examiner did it. He was amazed at what it failed on and said that should not have happened.

Good luck mate and don't dip are if it fails on a few things. I think more cars fail first time than pass.

Remember to look at your car that you have built and be proud of you achievements.

Guest Jay Paul

IVA / SVA are all hoop jumpers ok there is a job to do but some times the power trip gets the better of them although the local guys down here are quite a laugh and like they motorsport so all is good

what about wing mirrors with repeaters in the ends? would give you the width and visibility required.

Was a long time ago now but my 2b passed SVA with the repeaters on the side panels and the main front indicators (standard RH ones) on the nose cone without any extenders. Whether the next chap would have passed it who knows.

• Like 1

Height of lamp from 350mm to 1500mm.

Within 400mm of outermost side bit of vehicle.

Less than 2600mm front the front of the vehicle.

Angle of visibility rearwards from 5 to 60 degrees from the vehicle centreline. This is the awkward bit on sevens as the rear mudguard can block the 5 degree bit if the repeaters are below the screen pillar.

No they don't have to be visible from the front of the car!

Nigel

post-21-0-57320600-1473958569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder