Sierra Rear Suspension Outer Bush Bolt Specs'

GambolGold

Hi,

There seems to be lots of play on the outer pivots of my rear suspension - Ford Sierra. (on a monocoque chassis, so it's the visible bit when looking from the side). Could anyone please provide dimensions etc for the bolts and holes?

Cheers, Nat

Yes, the bolt heads are seen to move on acceleration.

From what you say the bolts are there to locate the bushes, not to keep things tight. So there is meant to be some movement between bolt and hole - as the bush flexes? Have I got the right idea?

The bolts should be tight, they compress a metal tube inside the rubber bush. Tighten them as much as you can and see if the still move.

If they're loose, it's possible the holes in the rear beam may have become elongated. Easiest solution to this would be to weld a thick washer to the beam over the current hole.

Many thanks. So the diameter of the bolt should match the diameter of the hole (the holes in mine are about 2mm wider than the bolts). And if the holes are too big I need to weld washers on - would this be only to the outside or to the inside too?

One more question to put out to determine whether the bolts were correct in the first place : what should the diameter of the bolts be?

My understanding is that Metalastic bushes should in most cases be bolted up tight and the movement is then in the rubber bushing. Things like the shock absorbers should be fitted and then only tightened fully once the car is sat back in it's normal position so the bush is no 'pre-loaded'.

Poly bushes running on a metal sleeve should again have the tube done up tight and the bush then rotates on the metal sleeve not the metal sleeve on a bolt. The sleeve should be a mm or 2 wider than the bush so the bush is not clamped when the bolt is tightened.

at least that is what i've always done.

hth

• Like 1

So, to summarise :

* these are metalastic bushes, comprising an inner tube with a rubber bush bonded to it and a metal case bonded to the out side of that.

* the bolt fixes the tube to the 'shackle' on the rear subframe. So the tube does not move at all relative to the subframe.

* the casing is pressed into the trailing arm.

* the suspension movement only happens because of the rubber flexing. All metal components are rigid.

Two photos :

1. There are two, ehem, 'shims' fitted here, which makes me wonder whether it's the correct sized bolt anyway. The bolt head has started to move relative to the metal it goes through (I'm calling a shackle for now).

2. (looking forwards) this shows the rubber either side of the swing arm. Is this what you'd expect a metalastic bush to look like?

post-2156-0-12184100-1510413241_thumb.jpg

post-2156-0-84738500-1510413283_thumb.jpg