Alternator Mounting

Thrashed

Hi all

After my recent mishap I have been trying to re angle my alternator so that it can't happen again

The issue I have is that it either hit the round chassis tube that braces the engine bay or the steering shaft

I just don't have the space! I have a smallish Denso alternator on a pinto engine

For the last 2 evenings I have been googling looking at ideas but they are very thin on the ground for pintos.

What I need is ideas or pictures of how other did theirs on a zero with a pinto.

Failing that I will see what the smallest possible alternator is and see if I can get that to fit so any ideas on suppliers if ultra small alternators would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Thanks Mark

Have seen loads of kits for Zetecs. Pinto ones just seem non existent. Get the feeling I will just find the smaller alternator possible and make a bracket to fit

Edited by Thrashed

Not quite the same but maybe of some help I have a pinto with a denso alternator but in a 2b and just made my own bracket as I wanted to tuck it in as much as possible and it worked really well for me. Some pics will help.

CB101D18-F819-4B79-A71C-6B0F7092AE99_zps

8316D415-D120-4C14-A2C2-5E9F13E7B63B_zps

2269AEAE-0659-4367-9652-6493882CF7D1_zps

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics. Just what I had planned but in the zero there is a cross brace of the chassis right in the way.

Think I am going to get a smaller alternator and fit it between the chassis and steering shaft.

My current denso is 160mm between bolt holes and 160mm from pull face to back of the casing, so need to be smaller than that

Thanks Dan, That was the one I found too.

Carbuilder do one what could be the same unit but is only 40amp (part number ALTE) . Working out what I run this should be more than enough for a pinto with just lights. No heater or wipers to worry about?

Nigel. I had a nut protector on it and had obviously popped off, so will be using one of these next time around.

I suspect as the alternator was so close to the chassis rail (probably less than 3mm) as the engine rocks it knocked the nut cover off, but with the rubber cap I suspect will rub through and could cause the issue again, so I think getting rid of the issue is best bet.

Bob, I have nowhere near that sort of clearance with the current setup. I have been looking at the carbuilder alternator which is 40mm between bolt holes smaller and the body is about the same.

This would give me the clearance on the chassis and steering shaft but I suspect will require a new mount being made which is not a big issue really.