Iva Booked With Lots Of Little Bits To Do

magh

Morning all so my dreaded Iva is booked 11th may and not particularly looking forward to it. Thought Id start a thread for all my little questions and once the car is something like ready Ill post some pics for you to pull apart haha.

First off Im using the Sierra wheel for the test the center horn button is unused so if I just paint the horn symbol out will this suffice?

Secondly I have a wiper stalk but no equipment installed I know a lot cut this off but would rather not damage them. If I was to just sand the white symbols off the stalk and stick something on saying not in use would this be ok?

Thanks Mike.

The difficulty with IVA advice is that no 2 test centres do it the same, despite the huge manual. So all I can say is what happened for me (in August last year)...

I don't think you have to worry about your wiper stalks - I left my wiper button on my dash (no stalks for me) and it was never mentioned. If the wipers existed, then they

would test them but as they're not there, no problem.

I don't have specific advice on those issues either but I must admit, I also understood there's little issue if there's a control on the car that relates to something not fitted. Of more concern is if there are systems on the car, and no identifiable controls in place for them.... or duplicates that don't function. This would indeed mean the Horn on the wheel needs demarking if that's the case, so the driver can clearly identify all relevant controls that WILL operate the system. But for the wipers, if they're not fitted, my understanding is that is of no concern.

Point in case - I had a switch on the dashboard that was originally going to be ECU map selection and traction control settings. But it never got implemented. So I just left it unmarked. The examiner asked what it did, I told him the honest story and how it effectively does nothing now, and he was fine with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi have people covered the holes for the heater vents for the Iva? Obviously a small rubber bung sorted the wiper holes but cant find any trim that fits and actually looks like its there to stay to sort the vents?

So this might not be the case where you're going, but I thought some examiners got a bit shirty if it looked like you were prepping a car to have a windscreen and had missed certain bits out in a temporary fashion. However, if you play the line "they were cut by the kit manufacturer by default" then that tends to absolve you of any blame and they let it go. How about some thin aluminium sheet, and just glue/sikaflex them on from underneath the scuttle? Or you could even rivet them on if you didn't mind a couple more rivet heads showing?

The obvious suggestion would be to put some vents on them anyway, even though they don't do anything, but I think this might go against the principles above for some examiners, and they might turn a dim view...

edit: or, worse case, measure them and I 3D-print 4 blanking plates for you, as a push fit...

Edited by brumster

I do have 4 pieces of stainless left from the pack of precut pieces that I have no idea what they are for but would do the job nicely and glue them from underneath.

I dont think Ill be bothering with a screen time will tell.