Pinto Injection Head Queries

Guest 2B-EVO

Hi all,

I have a standard 205 block injected 2.0 pinto engine in my car running a weber 32/36 dgav carb. I bought the car with the engine fitted. I’ve been reading about the advantages of the injection head but i have a couple of queries:

1) Is the advantage of the better inlet ports completely lost by fitting the standard round port carburetor inlet manifold?

2) I ve read that while the lift of the injection cam is the same as the standard 2.0 pinto cam the duration is a lot less than the standard 2.0 carburettor cam (ECU cant cope with the overlap) and therefore performance is lost.

So my questions are has anyone had any experience of these issues?

I'm happy with the way my engine runs (tick over, no flat spots etc) but i just feel its a bit flat down the bottom end and doesn't have the torque that so many pinto runners refer to and im wondering if the above points could be the issue?

Cheers Andy

Guest 2b cruising

If you use an injection head with injectors and the original cam, that would cause no problems.

Change any one thing and it will require altering in another.

Not difficult to do, get the Burton catalogue and see what is recommended, then copy that.

It will still need Fine tuning to suit whatever you do though.

Edited by 2b cruising

There is measurable benefit of using the injection head whether you run injection or carbs

No negative effect of fitting a carb manifold to an injection head

The standard Sierra injection and its ECU can't cope with any more duration than standard but can cope with a cam with more lift so the Kent FR34 injection can or the FR30 high torque caravan cam will work with the standard injection

If you run carbs or a megasquirt then any cam you like can be fitted

That said once you decide on a cam you have to take revs and compression and strength of Pistons and rods into account

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies guys and thanks Graham for confirming that the car is running a standard carb cam. I had had a look through the folder that came with the car but there was no reference to a cam kit, hence i assumed it was running the original injection cam.

Snapperpaul - was it you that made a bike carb inlet manifold from an old injection manifold? If so was it anything more than cutting the manifold down and spacing the carbs?

Cheers Andy

No I've not cutdown and injection setup

I have bought wisely from eBay for manifolds and recently refurbished a manifold bought off a friend that was badly welded and rough inside.

I have got 1 badly done ally manifold and only use this as a pattern

Found some pics of a modded injection manifold to ZX6 bike carbs on an old thread and it was Steve in Stockport who posted them so it looks like it was steve who did the mod - knew id seen it somewhere. Something for the future perhaps. Thanks again for all the replies.

Cheers Andy