Who's Robin Hood V8

Guest 2B-EVO

Guest lotusPaul

To get a RV8 to give 300bhp from a 3.5ltr is fairly easy. Open the same engine to beyond 4ltrs and you don't gain a massive amount of power but you will get the 300bhp coming in earlier in the rev range. The problem is the size of the ports and valve arrangements.You can only go so big on a RV8. A 390cfm carb is capable of flowing for this but most go 550cfm for ease. Biggest carb isn't always the best.

A really good way to gain torque and bhp is work out the maths for the exhaust. This will make a big difference and that's due to the previously mentioned limitations of the valves and ports. A high powered spark system is a must.

Gaskets can leak because there are more bolts on one side than other.

270 degree intake duration will give great results anymore and the overlap can reduce pressure in the cylinders.

I'm not normally happy to quote bhp as torque is much better as a tool but 300bhp is not hard to get and is certainly not the limit. It's just more starts getting damm expensive. For the same money 450 Dyn proven ponies can be achieved from a 302/5ltr Ford.

Guest Paul Morgan

Bob's right about them being long legged, I lost some teeth off my layshaft at the start of one hoddie weekend in north yorkshire, but instead of going home early I just decided to drive the whole weekend in 4th gear. Was no problem up steep hills and stop / starting in traffic in the towns.

Also interesting 0-80+ in one gear. :clapping:

Edited by Paul M

Guest mcramsay

A mate of mine has a 270bhp rover v8 in his marlin with twin side exhausts and it sounds amazing, especially the off beat sound you get from having exhausts on either side. Pulls like a train in any gear. Personally I prefer something a bit higher revving! But if you have an enginr lying around and the skill to fit it, get the angle grinder out!

A big thank you to Paul M for letting me have a look round his V8 2B+ on Thursday night. Its a tight fit and a few chassis mods required but the sound is awesome, and Paul advised that the performance from even a relatively standard engine is ample. So i'm going to go and see what my Dad has knocking about and weigh up the cost of all the parts i'd need compared to what i've already got Red top wise. But as said previously the sound offsets quite a bit of the cost. :)

Cheers

Andy