Gearbox And Diff

Snapperpaul

I am stairing at the VIN plate from a 1982 gl hatch 20l. the diff id box says V which from another hoodies info says 3.38 ( i really don't want a diff that long with the plans i have) Is this a 3.38? Also the Transmision box says F and i really really hope its an N (5 speed) not a B ( 4 speed ) i dont have the gear lever so i did think of that first ( second hand kit blues). any help and links please.

Also any idea what the other boxes mean?

I have my eye on 2 XR4x4's one saloon and one estate, 2L DOHC's, i will try and check the diff tags if i can. it will mean the complete backend has to be changed as i have slide in half shafts and drum brakes or can i just change the diff with the shafts and brakes, i.e does the 3.9 diff bolt strait in to the subframe?.

Guest chris brown
does the 3.9 diff bolt strait in to the subframe?
Yes but I think the Xr4x4s will have LSDs fitted which will be 3.62 and as you say you will have to change the whole of the brakes and shafts but it is not a difficult job to do. I changed mine easily in a day the NW Hoodies site has all the info you should need when doing the job

Guest salty_monk

Only the 2.0 injection & the 1.8 had the 3.92. The rest had 3.62 apart from a few "eco" models which used a 3.38.

I have a 3.62 you can have if you need it, even has new seals that have done less than 1k. Personally I would fit the 3.92 though... As Chris says all the LSD's are 3.62, Chris changed from the 3.92 to a 3.62 LSD & didn't notice too much difference, I changed from a 3.92 to a 3.62 & hated it... so changed back to a 3.92. Bob Tucker changed from a 3.62 to a 3.92 & loved it.

With the 3.62 you really have 4 useful gears & an overdrive & a big jump from 1st to 2nd, with a 3.92 you have 5 useable gears (although first is a bit short) but higher revs, more noise etc. If you want higher top speed the 3.92 is the one to go for as the Pinto's won't drive the 3.62 past about a ton (and that's in 4th gear... I have 121 odd BHP flywheel, 99 bhp wheels.) For me it just makes it a lot more "driveable"...

Dan

Guest chris brown

I think its a case of "you pays your money and takes your chances" I personally prefer the 3.62 as it gives me a good 4 speed "fun" box with the 5th cog when on main roads and I find I can still pull about 110 - 115mph in top

thanks for the info guys keep it coming,

With plans i have and if i secure the big valve head with a RL22 cam the 3.9 is the only way to go, in the mean time this year its on with the build. What i want to try and do is build in all the good ideas and best practice that i am getting from the club members.

Salty i will e-mail you.

Guest salty_monk

Chris, how does your car manage that??

I have 121 BHP & Bob Tucker has 140BHP, Neither of us can get over about 105 with the 3.62. I could only manage about 102... (not a bog problem as normally 90 is enough in the hood due to wind & noise however it's annoying when a Burberry Baseball cap in a 1.2 Saxo passes you on the motorway!!

Your engine is standard right?? Presumably your gearbox is just the standard 2.0 injection too??

You're right though, it's all down to personal taste :)

just seen this on ebay, i suspect 4.27 is to short and makes 1st unuseable.

Ford Granada 7.5" Diff, 4.27 ratio which has been fully reconditioned by Road and Race Transmissions in Kent with new seals repaint etc. In excellent condition. Can be used with push in driveshafts as in Sierra Type A or can be changed to accept Lobro driveshafts. I was going to put this in my Westfield but now need a different ratio. This item is advertised elsewhere so I may withdraw the Diff before the end of the auction. Carriage will be approx. £23 as the Diff weighs 28 kilos. On 17-Mar-05 at 09:39:04 GMT, seller added the following information:It has had 14ml machined off where the top bolt is fixed to enable it to fit a standard Westfield chassis which takes 7" Diff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest chris brown
Your engine is standard right?? Presumably your gearbox is just the standard 2.0 injection too??
You are correct Salty I have to have the sidescreens on to get the best performance out of it. It is surprising how much extra drag there is with them off.