Removing Momo Gear Knob

dandan62

Successful fitting of lovely leather handbrake gaitor so I've moved into the gear one. I thought this would be easy! Just unscrew the knob. Nothing moves even with a lot of force. It's a MOMO aluminium knob. The top unscrews to reveal a thread. Tried grips on this and it doesn't budge. There looks to be a lower sleeve at the base of the knob and I've read elsewhere that this hides some grub screws. It's doesn't budge. I'm so afraid of damaging something by using too much force. Any clues or tricks?

If youre sure there are no grub screws, apply some heat.

It may have been put on with threadlock.

I use a layer of rubberised non slip mat if I have to grip anything.

It gives more grip & cushions the jaws to prevent any physical damage.

Is it completely in aluminium?

I've got one of those. It has grub screws but they're not particularly hidden. That extra threaded section itself screwed on to the existing thread on the gear lever.

I've never tried to take it off, so not sure why it's stuck...

Mine were very cheap (about £10 for 2!) so maybe not the same; if they are, just buy another and sacrifice the threaded bit (hacksaw it off, assuming it's plastic, like mine)?

Edited by nelmo

Definitely no grub screws visible. Using a magnet shows the main body is steel but chrome I think so I don't want to apply heat. The lower sleeve is aluminium I think. Hope photo helps. The top cover has been removed.

post-13705-0-87840300-1500630478_thumb.jpg