Drive Shaft/hub Carrier Noise

keith kelly

hi all,

I have worked on most elements of my kit and know it relatively well however one section I know nothing about is the rear drive train. I have a clicking noise when going round roundabouts / turn sharply and have recently started getting a grind/wiring noise from drivers side.

From what I have read it points to hub bearing. the drive shaft has been replaced (By GBS) as it was damaged after a slight mishap. can anyone local ish to me that can change my hub bearings as I don't know where to start. I am hoping that the replacement drive shaft fitted is good and the bearing is the issue but open to advise.

alternatively if anyone has any rear hub carriers (In usable condition) available (Drum brakes - Push in shaft) that I can purchase please drop me a message.

many thanks

keith

PS. Don't forget your EOSB tickets! Link at top of page.

Check the hub nuts tight, the bearing should last for ages if they changed the drive shaft this would of been undone. I've done done my sierra bearings a couple of times if you need a hand and a big torque wrench.

would this cause the issue or is it fair to say they need replacing? Did get a bit of a wack last year! Will see if I have big enough socket and check Edited by unclechief

Can get away with slight amount of play but not alot remove cap if one remove nut then bearing pack some grease in then grease bearing and refit

Might have to pull drum off as bearing can be awkward to get out

if that type fitted obviously

Edited by jaimo

If your mishap was enough to damage a drive shaft what else needed to be changed?

Zero Ford donor is all Sierra, and there should be NO free play in a rear bearing, they are preloaded when torqued correctly, any play and they are dead OR the shaft nut has loosened, possible.

If a shaft is changed, it is often changed as a unit with the bearing carrier, or the bearing is opened, logic would replace bearing at the same time.

What was the actual work listed?

As above, there should be no free play in the bearing. Have you jacked the wheel up and checked for play at the wheel rim? I've changed 3 sets of bearings on a Sierra based car and they are straight forward to do. The large nut removal is the difficult bit. As the preload is set by the original machining of the parts, make sure everything is clean on reassembly and all preservative is removed off the bearing outer faces.

gbs carried out the work, all new wishbone, replacement drive shaft etc but do not believe they changed the hub. I get a clicking/ticking noise (Rotary as its consistent between clicks) when turning right only. My thoughts are that if they had to change the shaft that the bearing would have taken a battering too and wonderful google suggest the symptoms point to the bearing.