5 replies to this topic

#1 dandan62

dandan62

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 104 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood S7 Sierra

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Hi. Since uncovering after the winter I have had intermittent starting. When the key is turned the dials twitch a bit and nothing. Eventually it turns the starter with many turns of the key. Sometimes just holding the key in position it will then turn after a few seconds. I have double checked battery connections and earthing several times. I took the starter apart and cleaned although I was unable to open the solenoid. Since doing that it fails to turn at all. I presumed I had finished it off by taking it apart. New starter fitted. Same thing but no amount of turns gets it turning. Is there anything else in the system? I think some sierras have a stater relay? Any thoughts welcome.

#2 dandan62

dandan62

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Further investigation shows no 12v on the ignition connection to the solenoid when the key is turned. So something is wrong between the barrel and the starter I presume. But a twitch on the rev counter shows I'm getting current somewhere. Looking at the relays there is one with a power symbol. 70Amps. Could it be that maybe?

#3 dandan62

dandan62

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

I must learn to work a problem fully before jumping in here! It turned out to be the ignition switch. Took it apart and it was very corroded. Needless to say it came apart with springs and ball bearings flying everywhere. One spring missing but it went back together OK and problem solved. Hoping I can get my money back from eurocarparts for the starter now!

#4 geordie40

geordie40

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 68 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood Super Spec

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

I'm another one for jumping in head first and thinking "oh yeah I know what that is", has cost me a pretty penny over the years.

Thing is I still do it sometimes

#5 dandan62

dandan62

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

What lead me down the starter route was when it wouldn't engage after the winter. I put it in gear and rocked it and that did it. Must have been coincidence and the ignition got a good contact. Good to know there are others out there

#6 magh

magh

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 189 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood 2B

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

I thought ignition barrel but youve already sussed it. Too late. Lol.