Ouch

Guest neil gale

Guest neil gale

Tried to start the car this morning, and it took a while to start and then fired into life with a large pop and sprayed oil all over the engine bay! nice start to a monday morning!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a cause??

It did seem to crank for a while before it fired, could this have caused a large pressure build up in the filter??

The only way you could burst the oil filter is to have far too much pressure in it, which implies that the pump was pumping but the oil couldn't get out ... so ... blocked oil way immediately after the filter? Have you got an oil cooler fitted?

Ant

The oil pressure release valve is actually built into the pump, this controls the pressure in the engine, by opening to let excess back straight to the sump. So that would mean that it's stuck allowing the pressure to build up. you need to remove the sump and oil pump, personally I would change the pump.

It wasn't you that was bragging a week or so ago about having 90 psi oil pressure, was it?

Guest neil gale

Ant, i havnt got an oil cooler fitted, but the engine has only done 1500 miles or so since a rebuild so i cant think how the oil way is blocked so soon??

No Jim it wasnt me bragging about 90psi.

I wondered if it could be anything to do with the timing, as i need to get the car tuned, and it seems to turn over fine for a while and then struggle to start every now and again. Could this struggling to turn over somehow increase the pressure in the filter and cause it to burst???

Guest salty_monk

If you're feeling brave I guess you could chuck another filter on & see what happens!

Perhaps this one wasn't formed properly at the threaded end to seal it or something... when you say it burst do you have any pics? Is it a big hole in the end or has the can come off or what??

Guest neil gale

I have replaced the filter, and the car is absolutely fine when driving, just dodgy on start up!!!!!

The old one had bent to one side (in relation to the sealing face), and burst on the join between the coloured outside casing and the aluminium or steel mating face that has the sealing rubber etc, where the two metals are crimped together?

The car runs fine, just seems to crank very slowly as though something is not right??

If i turn the ignition it cranks very slowly, and im worried if i leave it to crank for more than a second or two it will burst the oil filter again. Then after a few goes she fires up straight away!!??!!??

Can anyone shed any light????

The oil filter runs at the full pressure of the pump as it's on the outlet (correct me if I'm wrong please) I recon that you just had a faulty oil filter and that your slow cranking is somthing seperate.

Guest salty_monk

I was going to say the same thing.... Have you tried truning it over with a set of jump leads on in case the battery is past it's best & it's just coincidental?

If an oil filter was going to be faulty & give way I would have said the place you found was the most likely place for it to "give".

Guest neil gale

The excessive work on the oil pump makes sense to a point, but then how come it fires up and runs fine once the engine starts?? Does the blockage disappear, or stop once the oil is hot??

I am sure the engine cranked much more freely when i forgot to put the electrical lead back onto the distributor, however this may be clouding the issue :wacko:

No it clarifies the issue if its true. Disconnect the coil so the engine is not firing. Crank it. If it cranks OK it means there is no mechanical reason for the slow cranking, (oil pressure/friction/something bent/etc) because they are all still there. The only thing missing from the equation is ignition which would slow the cranking if it were over advanced and trying to fire the mixture while the piston is still on the upward stroke.

Nigel

The slow cranking could be due to excessive work required by the oil pump because it's pumping against a blockage.
Sorry ant, round spherical objects! if the oil pump actually locked up, it would just twist the drive and snap it.
The oil filter runs at the full pressure of the pump as it's on the outlet (correct me if I'm wrong please) I recon that you just had a faulty oil filter and that your slow cranking is somthing seperate.

you're not wrong, but the whole engine oil galleries are at the same pressure, the valve that controls the pressure is built into the oil pump, like any valve, it can stick in any position (although very unusual!)

Get an oil pressure gauge fitted, then you know where you are!

The slow cranking is one of five things!..................

Poor, or no earth strap to engine. (this is usually the main problem!)

Poor wiring to starter motor, (unlikely unless undersize wire has been used)

Knackered/ dirty segments (or worn brushes) on the starter motor commutator, (take it apart, clean it up, emery the com, and carefully scrape between the copper segments of the com, to ensure no 'cross-over' from one to another.)

Poorly charged / knackered battery. try it with a GOOD set of jump leads from a running car, and see if it makes any difference.

Lastly, the engine could be too far advanced, but we're talking 25º plus!! so it would pink somewhat when you do get it running.

Guest TerryBarry
The old one had bent to one side (in relation to the sealing face), and burst on the join between the coloured outside casing and the aluminium or steel mating face that has the sealing rubber etc, where the two metals are crimped together

This sounds typical of hydraulic failure of the seamed joint between the base and body of the oil filter.

I'm not sure what the burst pressure for an oil filter would be but a tinplate aerosol can which is much thinner will stand 150 psi without bursting but when it finally fails - it does distort as you describe.

I'd also check all main battery, starter and earth connections ( as others have suggested)