A Few Quick Questions

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

hey guys, its been a few months since ive posted. My build kind of stopped for a few weeks whilst work took over, but for the last month ive been putting many many hours in, ive now got the car at my mates house (as he owns a nice garage with a 4 post lift) which has made working on the car lots easier. ive changed alot of things that i wasnt happy with but ive just got a few quick questions for IVA:

1. where have people secured the rear brake flexable lines? i have pclipped them to the wishbone but now the pipe rubs along the frame (just behind the back panel of the car) i dont want to P clip it on the frame at that point as i will lose all flexibility on the pipe. any body got a pic?

2.) how do you make up a chassis numnber? is there any perticualar sequence or do i get one from the DVLA?

3.) has any body got a pic of the GBSC exhaust mouting kit fitted to a car? i cant work out how the pieces and bobbins are supposed to all go together?

4.) heres a wierd one, i read someware that if the drivers seat is on rails then the seat belt must be able to be adjusted when the seat is in its fully forward position. with the seatbelts i have (without an extension piece) this isnt possible. My drivers seat is on rails, however for one reason or another they bind up when i bolt the seat into the car, meanining the seat does not move no matter how much you tug it.

the easy solution for this would be to remove the rails and bolt the seat straight to the floor, however i went with the lowered floor version of the zero kit, meaining if i lower the seat down then im going to struggle to see over the dash! if i cut the lever off the rails so that it made the seat completley unmovable, meaning the rails are just there purely as a spacer to raise the seat up do you think this would be suitable?

Edited by mcramsay

Guest jmdunne@talktalk.net

Advice from Martin, the IVA tester at Nottingham, was to clip the flex brake hoses using a long cable tie with,say, a 1" piece of plastic tube as a stand-off. If you hav'nt done this before, you push the tie through the tube, wrap it around the fixing point, push back through the tube and then attach it to the cable. 'fraid I'm not crawling around under the car this morning, but the example pic on my front suspention will give you the idea. Did this on a few places and passed IVA on retest.

Got my VIN from my local DVLA office. Quite painless.

Can't comment on the exhaust fittings - I made up my own.

Don't understand your seat belt problem as my lower mountings on the side and tunnel bodywork. There is enough length in the belts to adjust even when the seat is fully forward.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi

to reply in order

1/ The calliper connection and chassis mount all that are required. With careful positioning of the flex in the chassis mount it is possible for the suspension to move freely without the flex contacting either body or suspension, which is what the IVA tester is looking for. If you have problems, or need another routing than the norm, just clip with a tie rap with a rubber spacer. (as per MikeD's pic)

2/ Chassis numbers must be 17 digits long, they can be made up, but must be unique to your vehicle. you can use your name, age, model, pets name or combination, as long as its 17 long. it must appear on your chassis plate, along with axle weights, build date etc, AND on the chassis itself, either stamped in the metal or in a plate WELDED to it.

3/ How old is your kit? the mounting changed over the last few months. the earlier one used a vertical bracket on the exhaust, which used two bobbins to mount to the side of the body. the later has a horizontal mount, and uses one bobbin to mount to a bracket that in turn is mounted under the side of the body, so no holes in your panels.

4/ The alloy seat rails have a tendency to bind when tightened down, usually caused by the seat mounting points. however if they move freely when bolted to the seat it must be the fitting to the floor, try to space them away from the carpet. The later steel type do not have any such problems.

On my many visits to the Nottingham IVA I have never seen the adjustment checked at full forward position, only full rearward. Will have to ask testers when they are open tomorrow. it is allowable to add extension plates to the mounts, provided they are up to the job. If you are able to correct the above, make sure the belts will still adjust. nice new belts stored in damp garages, or rained on whilst driving or transported to IVA, will jam.

Not in a position today to provide any pics, but if you need anything further I will try to help.

Regards

Edited by knights_templar

Guest mcramsay

thanks alot. I might give GBSC a ring about the runners, to be honest ive spent hours trying to get them to free up but i never can. its like bolting them to the seat and then through the floor is enough to flex the runners and bind them up. has any one used another design of runners that are any better? i will post up some pics of my build in the next few days. im hoping to be filling in the IVA paperwork this week and ready for the test in the next 2 weeks. so hoping to get a test date next month sometime.

As promised, had a word with Nottingham test station re seat and belt adjustment.

It appears that the is no stated position to test the adjustment of the belts, just the opinion of the tester as to the most likely position of the seat in normal use.

"In the opinion of the tester at the time of testing"

This will mean that different testers may take a different view, Their advise is to lock the seat adjusters for the test, or put a stop in to reduce seat movement.

so maybe it is a good idea not to fix the runners until after the test :-)