How Much Power Can A Pinto Clutch Take?

Guest alfaGTA

Guest alfaGTA

After reading what feels like 20 ways to mate a zetec to a type 9 i think i have found a workable solution for me;

• 1.8 Zetec flywheel re-drilled (bought via retro-ford) to take;
  • Standard pinto clutch kit inc standard release bearing
  • Lucas LRS707 starter

So far this setup "should" work (correct me if wrong please) but has anyone run around 200bhp through a standard pinto clutch without slippage and longevity?

Could go the route of AP HD racing pinto clutch if it won't cop but i have read online that the standard LUK branded pinto clutch is good for a smidge over 200 bhp so willing to give it a blast.

Guest Alan_builder

AlfaGTA,

That is long what I have been saying. look at my web page http://www.rhcar,me.uk and look at my Zetec upgrade & changes pages. There you will find cross reference to others giving chapter and verse on the power handling of Ford clutches. If I remember the ZVH (CVH turbo) use the pinto clutch up to 250 BHP and report no problems.

Guest alfaGTA

Thanks lads, pinto clutches are quite cheap and even the AP racing clutch plate itself is ok at £65ish but the cover plate for the racing clutch is over £200 so i drew a line at that! For our lightweight kits without two ton of bulk/passengers/luggage/caravan etc etc i think the standard one will survive with semi sympathetic driving.......... As for the starter i will keep looking and may try a bulk buy from my local motorfactor. :friends:

Alan, thanks for highlighting your website/blog but if you could edit it as you have made a minor typo with a comma.

Guest zoomzoom

200 bhp........... Nice

My route to Zetec heaven was as follows..

1.8 flywheel with mondeo cover plate with pinto friction plate.

Q&H release bearing QH133 ( Capri 2.0 type5 gearbox I think)

LRS707 starter, I will look for the invoice as I can't remember where I got it but is was around £80ish

Lots of cable ties,Velcro,and lots of blu tack to hold it all together.

It's all coming out now as you chaps are getting too fast

Guest alfaGTA

~£80 seems to be right for those starters....... more in places!! Best i saw was £45 on ebag for a ford granada/sierra dohc but will keep shopping.

Rob man talk sense............ Marcus wants a pinto (he already has the bonnet cut out in anticipation) :rofl:

last time i did a replacement clutch on a pinto kicking out 180 BHP, i used a kevlar clutch with a standard pressure plate

a little cheaper than an AP clutch, but as the kevlar doesn't heat up in the same way, i found it grips like stink and never slipped on me!!

I did however manage to burn out a standard clutch with the same engine

worth looking at

cheers

C

Guest alfaGTA

With blown 1st and 2nd, 180 rampaging pinto horses and 3rd gear launches no wonder it burnt out mate....... how did it cope up to that point? presume it did ok if 1st and 2nd went before the clutch??