How To Bleed A Radiator System?

Guest baja2baja

Guest baja2baja

Any assistance would be great.

I have removed the standard viscous fan & water pump, replaced the pump with a non viscous type. Added an electric fan to the radiator with a remote thermostatic controller, i was also advised to add an overflow bottle with an overflow pipe which I have done.

After all this I cant get all the air from the system and the overflow bottle just fills up to over flowing until it cools then most is sucked back in.

So any advice would be of great help, many thanks.

Do you have a heater pipe that is higher than the rad cap, then maybe fit a bleed screw here & release the air as the system comes up to temp. OR Put the car front wheels up on ramps when filling so the air come out as water goes in. OR keep topping up the rad & let the suck & blow expansion bottle do its work over several cycles of engine heating up & cooling.

I would always check the design of the system to see that it is self bleeding. Is the stat in the correct way round. (Its works should be on the engine side not in the housing). Has the stat been drilled with a 3-4mm hole to allow a small bypass for air and is the hole at the 12 0'clock position when fitted.

Then after filling leave the rad cap off, run the engine up to temperaturefor 10 minutes, topping up the rad to overflowing whenever it s level drops. Switch off and put the cap back on before it cools. That usually clears any trapped air.

Nigel

Guest Chris Russ

............Suggest you jack the front of the car up about a foot or so, then the rad cap is the highest point in the cooling system - then leave it running for 15 mins or so with the rad cap off! --- Usually works!

i usually get an air lock whenever i fill mine from empty - the problem being hot water does not get to the stat to let it open. I go for a quick drive until the water temp is very hot (shoots up quickly as the stat wont open) then park facing a fairly steep downhill. Give it a few minutes to cool, and then add another litre or so!