Clarification On Steering Setup Etc Iva

Guest mdav1970

Guest mdav1970

Hi, Can anyone else tell me if it would be ok to use the Sierra steering wheel to get passed the fail list below, where ive been advised to use a collapsible boss on the RH Mountey steering wheel. Ive got the original Sierra steering setup other than the wheel.It was Roy at Derby who tested the car.

14 - Protective Steering

RS3: The steering control assembly must provide adequate protection to the driver by absorbing energy from a driver-steering wheel impact. This is the case if the steering control has an approval (evidence may be markings or documents), or is similar to an approved steering control.

Additional info: No displacement device fitted

Thanks..Mark

As Bob says, you need to speak to the tester to see what he wants. "No displacement device fitted" might just be a note to confirm that you don't have an airbag fitted. Was the car tested with something other than the Sierra wheel?

If you use the Sierra wheel and the Sierra column then that's an "approved steering control". You've got the padded wheel, collapsible inner column (the triangular bit) and collapsible outer column (the convoluted part of the outer tube) and that should be enought to get a pass.

Having the lower steering shaft out of line with the upper also helps and in practice I think you'd struggle to build a car where the upper and lower shafts were in line

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Think I have it cussed. Spoke to the tester today and he was under the impression I didn't have the concertina collapsible part of the steering column between the wheel and the upper mounting. I checked this and it is there, so its a case that he missed this when testing. I will still need to pad the front of the Mountney steering wheel or put a Sierra one on for the retest.