Gaining A Little Extra Ground Clearance

geordie40

Hi

After my run in with a speed hump Im looking at an easy way to increase ground clearance, I cant raise engine, nor do I want to (dont have know how or tools for it) so Im thinking of either changing the 15" arrays of a 16" wheel or maybe just changing tyres to 195/60/15 from 205/50/15 . Whats peoples views Tyres or Rims or BOTH!!

Hi Al

My shocks are wound up about the same as yours, just thinking that putting an extra inch on the wheels or tyres will help as well.

I think I read somewhere on here that 195/60 tyres give a better ride as well

Edited by geordie40

Also check your front engine mount. A couple of people, including me, have found a crack or separation in the L shaped plate welded onto the front circumferential tube. On my Superspec the front of the engine was sagging a couple of cm which I regained as ground clearance when I had the plate replaced.

Looks like the only way is up. I changed from 14 inch to 15 inch wheels and tyres because there was no choice of tyre in 14 and by juggling profile and size was able to keep the same rolling circumference to avoid the problems Alan mentioned. Surprisingly when I fitted them my calculations had been correct. You should be able to do the same to gain an inch or so but as Alan said you are making more work. Not to mention the cost, especially if you are not in need of new tyres. Have you compared the clearance to the other owners on here? Maybe there is another alternative.

Hi Kevin

I think my clearence is along the same lines as most SS owners.

Where I live in Devon there are plenty nice rural drives but a lot of pot holes or nice dips in the road that catch you out and the sump guard bottoms out!!

Was just thinking ahead as I think tyres are original so about 10yrs old and showing some cracking.

Yep get rid of them at 10 years old they are way past their best. I got a good deal on ebay for some brand new rims. Tyres came from an online tyre company, cheaper than I could get anywhere else even with a friends company discount. Turned out they came from Belgium!

If your tyres need replacing then I'd write that cost off as a consumable and only count the rims as an extra expense to make myself feel better.

I am holidaying in Devon this year so I will see how your roads compare with cambridgeshire, have to be bad to beat some of ours.