Carbon Fiber.

Guest ScotMac

Guest ScotMac

Hi,

Wondering about carbon fiber for my build. So, is it possible to get the GRP replaced w/ carbon fiber? Does RH offer this (yes, i should ask them, but they aren't as responsive as you all!!! ;-)? Any other source for it?

Also, anyone know of a source for carbon fiber interior pieces?? Dash, tunnel sides and top, ...

Note, i am asking for a l/w, but i *hope* some of the parts will be interchangeable (yes, maybe not that likely), or some of the sources might be flexible (custom work).

Cheers, -sm

Guest docter fox

I dont think rh do, most places use carbon effect GRP, IIRC GRP is lighter (and definately cheaper), and on a hood there isnt many places where it is used for it's strength, where you just thinking of looks? (I have carbon effect front indicators if that helps :p )

I'm not sure what style of rear arch the lightweight uses but i do know you can get carbon 7 noses, front cycle wings, rear arch stone guards and seats. Mainly from Caterham and Demon Tweeks. "Loads a money" also try searching for Carbon in ebay.

Strength for strength, CF is far lighter than GRP.

Next time youre in the pits at a racetrack, look in the bits bins you'll often find a trashed CF wing mirror.

Weigh it in the hand then try squashing it CAREFULLY the shards are right B***ERS.

Guest Bob Rowell

Have a look at the Caterham Online Stores - Carbon Fibre cycle wings £200 each!!

Nose Cone £600!. I don't have a Nose Cone yet, but I have managed to pick up a pair of cycle wings.

Carbon Fibre looks great, but the prices are scary.

Guest ScotMac

Yes, carbon fibre has a better strength to weight ratio (stronger, lighter), and looks better....and yes, it is expensive. You *can* also make your own...

Thanks for the suggestion Bob...ur right, they ARE expensive!!! ;-)

So, all the RH stuff is simply look-like-carbon-fibre? Hmmm...that's useful!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll check out e-bay, thanks.

Any other sources????

Guys,

I have bought some stuff from the streetfighter site in the past.

Good value, good service, but read the ads carefully...

they are NOT made of carbon fibre.

They are GRP finished in "Carbon Look" Effect.

No problem if you like the look, but a big problem if you are looking to reduce weight.

I know it wont make much difference for ithe 2 ndicators, but 4 wings & a nose cone will save a fair few Kgs.

Lets be careful out there...!

Bob.

Guest ScotMac

Hmmm...Marc's stuff (MNR) is ABS...i assume that is a bit lighter than GRP??

But, anyway, would rather have CF, if we can get it cheap.

This Japanese guy has some interesting stuff, but i don't think it is cheap, and you have the long-dist ship expense:

http://www.reverie.jp/

Also, an ebay retailer, "eagle_bodyworks", says he has CF bodywork for locosts. I'll have to check w/ him, via email, since he doesn't appear to have a website. Anyone bought any of his stuff???

Thanks, -sm

Guest timswait

Yes RH's "carbon effect" pieces are black CSM GRP with one layer of woven Carbon Fibre cloth on the surface layer, they do look quite nice, but they're the same weight as any other colour. Since these pieces aren't load bearing anyway I really don't think you'll get much weight reduction by using CF. The weight of a GRP nosecone is probably only 1 or 2 kg, so even a 50% weight reduction is only going to be a few hundred grams, which isn't very cost effective if you're spending £600 to achieve it!

If you want to do it, then you could get the standard RHE items, strike a GRP mould off them and then lay up your own carbon one inside that mould. That way you can Ebay the original RHE items and you still have a mould for if you need to replace any items. To make a really good job you could use sandwich construction, ie a few plies of CF, some foam or honeycomb core and then a few more plies of CF.

P.S. There's no reason to think ABS is any lighter than GRP, it's a monolithic plastic, so it's specific properties are actually probably a bit worse than GRP, the only way it will be lighter is if it's thinner.