Superspec Stuttering

deano266

Hi all. I have now changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and the pre pump filter in my rover engined (fuel injected) superspec.

Initially the run was good, it was feeling good but when it got upto temperature it started to stutter. Not near as bad as it was until I went around a corner up a hill and it almost stopped like before and when engaging reverse it did stop and would only start if I put my foot flat to the floor and turn the key.

There was a slight leak coming from the fuel line at the top of the pump assembly but don't think there was enough to cause the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions and where can I get the fuelines for it from.

Thanks in advance.

There was a slight leak coming from the fuel line at the top of the pump assembly but don't think there was enough to cause the issue.

I'm no expert but I wouldn't want even a 'slight' leak of petrol <_>

Have you got a swirl pot? Might just be fuel starvation as the fuel level gets low.

The isn't low as i have checked that visually when the pump was out.

The fuel leak is an issue i just don't think it would cause the issue.

The pump hangs in from the pump assembly into what can be described only as a large circular pool from which the pump draws the fuel from. Would this be the swirl pot but it will also happen when on a flat-ish road.

I am at a loss where the issue could be coming from as it was running fine around the time of stoneleigh after i had fixed the vacuum tube to the injection manifold.

I will be taking the car electrics apart and seeing if their could be an issue there

Just a thought if you are using the standard supplied tank that has the red & white (flow & return) hoses.

If you have the supplied red/yellow 'plastic' fuel hoses that push into the connectors, are they:

A: connected to the correct ports? (from memory I think the red is the supply)

B: have the ends of the hoses been cut with either pliers or side cutters? This may have left a sharp point on the hose that has damaged the seal within the push fit connector

C: again from memory, but I think there may be 2 seals (o rings) within the connectors. Have the hoses been checked that they are as far into the connector as possible?

It might be worth checking the hose ends and re-seating, but lubricate the ends of the hose with a little fuel before inserting into the connector

If the ends have a sharp end, I doubt if the lines will need replacing.

Just remove and trim up, but trim with a rotary cutter (the type use for cutting copper pipe), then replace into the connector.

GBS may have the pipe in stock if you really want to replace it

I have had a look at the pipe and there is a crease in the pipe which probably won't be helping things

You say plastic, but are there any rubber hoses that maybe collapsing when its all warmed up?

I had to redo my pipes when I had a fuel leak. The original builder had simply slid the red/yellow plastic pipes inside a rubber pipe and clamped it, without putting any sort of metal insert inside the plastic pipe to stop it collapsing.

BTW, latest “Wheeler Dealers” episode is a Lancia with an identical problem to you. Unfortunately you have already done everything he did.

Having read on the internet and practically changed all but the fuel lines. Could it be a coil issue creating the stuttering as i read that a faulty coil could give you a misfire under load but wouldn't be present when sat idling.

This is exactly when it happens although im not sure about when i put it into reverse and have to start it up again with full throttle.