Duratec Engines

Thrashed

As I understand it Mondeo Duratec is 136bhp out of the box and Fiesta ST 147bhp which is mostly exhaust and ecu with a caveat that I think the N4JB later Head had higher port angle to the valves. I have just swapped out a Fiesta ST engine and have the old one destined for the Fury.

Pistons and rods are weak not just pistons

Fiesta ST definately has solid lifters

• Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

Duratec

So, look at how much power you can get. Almost 210bhp on standard internals and standard cams.

How

Ditch the emission designed inlets and exhaust system and go 45mm inlets and a tuned 4-2-1 or 4-1. Get rid of the 300kg flywheel, ok its about 12kg, still damm heavy.

Weak points

If you consider what you can do with this, then there are no weak points up too 200bhp. In the real world the standard oem crank bearings are like toffee, get propper ones. Crank is ok but needs work perhaps at higher outputs. Rods are 'broken' style so only fit as a matched unit. At 200bhp they are approaching the limits, swap for steel at 200bhp to be safe. Pistons are same, cast but a slipper race orientated design. Again go forged over 200bhp.

So with that, 210bhp is possible on a good standard engine but driven hard it wont last. You can take the above advice and spend £1500 on a crank, £600 in rods, same on pistons and £200 on bearings. Your engine will last. Or you can say sod it, and whats a duratec second hand? £200. Each time you destroy one, go get another.

Dont forget as its mazda sourced it doesnt conform to the same bellhouse bolt patterns.

fwiw, Mike (director/owner of a major UK engine remanufacturer) confirmed that the Duratec ST150 engine is the same base engine mechanically as the "normal" 2.0 Duratec... innards/etc.

Thanks Dan. Thats good as the basic cost difference means I can get proper rods for it. Just been £600 for pistons, same again for cam Kit and I have the starts for a good engine! eBay hunting begins!