Fuel Pump Dilemma

colinmoore

So I have a 2B running a 2.0 Duratec, with a swirl pot in the boot that is supplied by a Facet silvertop pump on the ingnition on circuit. The HP pump is a cheapie from ebay (£30), well I am a pensoner. Anyway as the HP pump is a bit of a screamer, only heard at idle, I thought I would upgrade to a proper

Bosch 044 pump. This was sorced though ebay from Austrailia, and claimed to be the genuine article, it has the correct hologram, and the helicoil on the inlet, so seemed to be the real deal. Coming from this seller was at about half price delivered to what we can buy over here, so after a wait it arrived and was fitted. Still not that quiet, but better than the cheapie, after about 500 miles I was stranded at the roadside with no fuel pressure and a blown 15 amp supply fuse to the HP pump. A Hoodie bodge (a direct feed from the battery) gave no movement from the pump, so a quick call home had my wife winging her way to me with the cheapie pump from the garage. Luckily it was close to home and within my wifes comfort zone, after fitting, I was up and running again. On checking the Bosch pump later, a resistance check accross the terminals showed only 0.3 Ohms, almost a dead short. Now to my dilemma, the pump is being returned to Australia (£25) for a warrenty replacement, so do I trust this genuine replacement, or continue to use the cheapie screamer?

Those Bosch pumps became so popular on the aftermarket that I suspect a lot were dodgy/cheap clones - I had exactly the same experience as you, from a pump picked up at a kit car show. Luckily it failed in the garage rather than before the car was on the road.

Genuine Sytec bought as replacement ;)