Pinto Turbo Oil Leak On Turbine Side

dandanfireman

Could be carbon smoke from exhaust side?

It you have an oblong shape separator, that originally had a sprung ball on it.

If it's that you are on about, take the ball out.

Yes its a strange shape, how do you get the separator apart? Seems to breath ok but would like to know how to stop any blockage in it so its a straight flow.

Cheers Guys.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi again.

You cannot open them.

Leave it to soak in something like undiluted gunk engine cleaner for a couple of days. Then rinse out with hose or tap.

If the one way valve is still fitted in the outlet pipe, just knock it through into the large part of the breather with a punch.

Although it would get trapped in the gauze, it might be better to drill the top hole of the breather so the ball will just flop out.

It cannot possibly get through into the sump then.

To avoid any drilling swarf going into the breather or sump, heavily pack your drill bit with grease and use a slow speed.

Edited by 2b cruising

Ok guys will poke a length of 6mm pipe through the separator tomorrow and see if it makes it all the way through as it seems free flowing to me, will update on what i find. Still reckon the best route for now is to rebuild the dry t3 I have as they are like hens teeth (unless anyone has one kicking around on here of course?) So does anyone have any advise on where to get a t3 rebuild kit?

Guest 2b cruising

That turbo was used on many applications in its day.

It would help if the plate was still on it with the part number.

If you can somehow find the manufacturers number, I'm quite sure you will be able to find what you need.

If you go onto the ford owners forum I'm sure your answer would be answered.

If Burton or other tuners used it they would willingly supply you with information. They are renounce to be helpful.

Good luck ans I hope you can find what you need.

Guest 2b cruising

A quick slosh won't remove dried carbonised baked on oil. Definately needs a long old soaking in something strong.

The best ever thing I used was traffic film remover. Trouble is it is very difficult to get hold of undiluted tuff now when your out of the trade.

If you know someone that is into truck washing, steam cleaning, that's the way to go. TFR. Jennychem, Snodland, Kent.

I know the do it in a strong form. Dangerous stuff though. Don't think the will post it.

Ok thanks i'll leave it in some diesel or some sort for a week or two and then pressure wash it. Anyone got any advise on guys from ebay in uk who have been known to sell decent t3 rebuild kits? Also is there any difference in rebuild kits between oil housings that are oil fed or oil and water fed?

Cheers

Dan

As said, hot caustic soda. I used to clean old motorcycle iron heads with it. Just don't put anything aluminium in it. When I was at work somebody put an aluminium head through our long continuous hot wash and left it there. All that came off on the conveyor belt were the valve seats and guides! Mind you, that was really strong stuff.

• 1 month later...

Well i've removed the pcv valve completely and just left the separator on the car and left the oil cap and crankcase to vent to air on tickover. I believe this has enabled the engine to breathe properly as this helped the turbo leak much easier and much quicker.

So with oil leaking everywhere from the hot housing i took it apart and found the exhaust downpipe from the turbo soaked in oil inside, however the hot side of the turbine did not appear to have any oil on it? Is that normal? Would it be so hot it would burn off or would i find oil on the hot side turbine?

Either way the turbo is now off and ready to go to someone to rebuild it, so does anyone know anyone who does turbo rebuilds in the hertfordshire/bedfordshire/cambridgeshire area as i'd like this fixed this year. If i have the time i may rebuild the turbo myself so does anyone have any advice on who to buy rebuild kits from on ebay as there are a lot of *bleep*ty ones out there lol.

Again thanks for your help guys.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi, it's me again.

I just put in the header bar. T3 turbo cartridge and it came up with about 5 options.

One being a definately English business so no problems with guarantee..

HTH. Ken.

Guest 2b cruising

If you put t3 turbo repair kit in the Google search bar, plenty should come up.

This will avoid eBay, carefully which source you pick as you can just end up on eBay.

Well worth a try. Done this many times.