Battery Powered Impact Driver

I'm 70 and can't swing on a spanner like I used to. I have drive shafts to change on the Bora and other tight things to undo. Even using the Jesus bar is getting harder.

All semi-pro YouTube vids seem to feature impact drivers. Quick and easier than swinging on a spanner. Decided I 'need' one. Perhaps up to £250. It won't be used more than 5-6 times a year although that might increase if they are as good as they seem.

I know you get what you pay for and the 'xxxxxxxx brand' one at £900 is the greatest thing since sliced bread but I can't justify being in that market. Anyone used the cheaper ones and can recommend one.

Nigel

Guest janis

I have used ryobi and millvaukee a few times..ryobi battery dont last very long but if u have two batteries its ok.

Its not as powerful as millvaukee but mullvaukee was 410£ and ryobi around 100£

Millvaukee will undo car wheel nuts easy where with ryobe u need brake them loose first

I think ryobe will easy undo drive shafts on bora

Looking on ebay there is some milwaukee models for around 200£ too they woud probably be good too.

I was wondering about this myself when my car came back from the main dealer and I couldn't shift the wheel nuts, supposed to be 125N/m. I came across this and wondered if a battery one is really necessary? managed to shift the nuts in the end with a big breaker bar, but still attracted to get one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-1010W-ELECTRIC-240V-1-2-DR-IMPACT-WRENCH-IN-CASE-SOCKETS-17-22MM/291556787990?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sold Dewalt for a quarter of a century, but a few years retired now; always good kit. Looks like some very good deals on e-bay, what you use at present may swing the decision if the batteries are the same.

We did use de Walt saws on the fire engine but when they became a bit long in the tooth they were replaced with a hilti reciprocating saw which was much better, although whether the improvement came from a different brand or advances in technology I wouldn't like to say. The equivalent de Walt may be just as good. The fire service are now rolling out a hilti impact driver to be issued to all front line pumps. Had a quick go with one the other night but only on some door hinge bolts and it worked OK, it was certainly small and easy to handle. New I should imagine it would be pricey. Hopefully price wasn't too much of an issue when the fire service purchased ours as we need the best when lives depend on them.

The Milwaukee 18v impact driver is excellent. Far more torque than you'd ever need, but it is expensive.

I think mine was £400, but it also came with a small 12v version as well which is good for anything up to m8, but doesn't have the guts for bigger stuff.

Battery on both last well, and I've dropped them both quite a few times and they just bounce back.

Mine came with 3 year warranty as well, which I had to use as they 12v charger stopped working.

Guest peter2b2002

I got an impact driver from lidles a few weeks ago it's electric used it to undo wheel nuts and supension bolts on my z3

peter-2b

I have a Boschmann 1/2in drive cordless impact wrench comes with two 24v battery's, charger and case.

Torques up to 320nm, it is only a cheap one off E Bay at only £55 as I only use it on mobile jobs for taking wheel nuts off

and didn't want to pay out for an over rated and over priced Snap On gun.

It is now about 4 years old and been left in the rain :blink: dropped, kicked and had loads more abuse through at it and its still going strong

http://car-tools.headphoneszone.net/cheap-cordless-impact-wrench-24v-12in-drive-320nm-2-batteries/

I have lifted out an iron 2.6 litre Cresta engine with a 6X2 joist an rope helped just by my little brother.....maybe a year or two back! Needs must, right? Plus I'm tighter than a Sierra hub nut.

Guest mcramsay

We use 1/2 dewalt 18v impact guns at work... great bits of kit. Can help get rusted 1" whitworth bolts that have not been undone for 15 years out pretty well!