Coolant Gauge And Sender

MarkBzero

Hi,

I have just started car after fitting Retro Ford water rail, with new fan switch, new thermostat and new temperature sender. Unfortunately the temperature gauge is reading very high 120, and fan not cutting in.

When checking circuit across fan switch the fan comes on. When checking fan switch in boiling water I can get open and closed circuit. Unfortunately I cannot test water temperature yet.

I suspect the sender and gauge are not a match pair, ETB gauge and Retro Ford sender. I am going to borrow digital temperature tester (laser type) from work. Where and what should I test?

I turned engine off when thermostat opened and top hose got warm.

Just check the 2 sender's at the same temp for there resistance. My etb sender fitted straight into the rail along side the the ECU temp sender I then drilled and tapped a 1/4npt for my pump control sensor. Do you have a bypass connected or small hole through the stat? You need it to equalise the temps both side of the stat

Edited by DanE

I only have one sender from Retro Ford, I have drilled a small hole in stat. When the water rail was getting warm I turned engine off, to risky to leave engine running with wrong temp gauge.

retro ford reads 220 ohm and the etb reads 55ohms at the same temp approx 15deg, matched etb senders are only £10

Edited by DanE