240V Voltmeter

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

I am making a steampunk lamp that has a voltmeter on it On the back of the meter there are + and - terminals.

How do I wire it up?

I am thinking Live in + and live out -, am I wrong?

The meter will sit between the switch and the lamp.

Guest Tim Norman

It was sold as an "0- 250V AC Voltmeter Analogue Panel Volt Meter Analog YS-670 for 220V 240V Mains|

and every other 240v AC meter I have looked at has the same two pegs.

Jez, not being a electrician I have no idea what the negative would be, all I know is there is a live, neutral and earth.

So from the switch I take a live to the volt meter and from the vlt meter to the lamp?

The neutral goes straight to the lamp?

Guest Gargoil

If I'm reading this right, you need a live to the voltmeter + terminal and from the voltmeter + terminal to one side of the the bulb. Then the neutral to the voltmeter - and from the voltmeter - to the other side of the bulb cct.

Could be stood up and corrected, though.

Edited by Gargoil

First -- connect the meter direct across the mains (via a 13A plug ) & check that is showing around 230volts -- if not it's probably DC & a retifier will not work as that reverses one side of the wave & meter will then show around 115 volts.

If meter reads 230volt then connect direct across your lampholder.

Have fire extinguishter handy if above fails.

Up-date -- a full wave rectifier will give a 230 volt output -- so Chris is correct -- a single diode will give half voltage -- memory fail again!

Edited by florin metal works
  • Like 1

just to be on the safe side make sure the circuit you are testing it on has a fully working RCD (always worth testing with the button from time to time) and not an old wire type fuse box etc. Less likely you will get dead if you do something completely wrong. I managed to touch a live wire last year when wiring the lights in the attic. Stupid mistake as i'd just forgotten i'd turned it back on as i'd done it so many times that day. I normally touch the electrical screwdriver end between the wires to trip anything but for some reason didn't do it that time. Lucky i had a working RCD although 30mA still hurts!

Also check any fire extinguishers are ok for electrical fires.

Post a pic when you are done. interested to see it!

Old sparky rule which I tried to follow when working on live kit -- "Keep one hand in your pocket" got me though dozens of shocks during my years "on the tools" but didn't save the local tech college from blackout when I dropped a spanner when working live on a 3 phase distribution board which blew a transformer fuse at the local sub-station.

But then again was I lucky or just thick skinned.