Steering Wheel Boss

Guest mdav1970

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Part of the IVA is that I have a collapsible steering boss? Other than the £50+ ones on ebay, where can i get one from, I currently have the standard sports steering wheel with a solid boss on the standard sierra steering.

Thanks..Mark

Are you sure you need a collapsable boss?

If you have the Sierra column you probably already have a collapsable column. Its made from the 2 triangular tubes, one collapses inside the other.

The IVA tester was adamant that even though I have the sierra collapsible box, I would need the collapsible boss at the steering wheel end???

That's rather concerning for those of us still to go through the horrors of IVA! :o

So is he suggesting you need one something like this at the steering wheel end in addition to the sliding triangular section at the bottom?!?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simoni-Racing-Steering-Wheel-Collapsible-Boss-Kit-Volvo-C70-2002-524-245-/321282071270?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4acde75ae6

Which test center is this at by the way please?

Cheers

Tony

I got through by using the Sierra steering wheel and column. I have changed the steering wheel after the IVA.

If you use the sierra wheel and DON'T connect the horn push, cover it up with some black PVC tape so the symbol is not visible.

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Mine went through IVA at Derby this July with the full Sierra column and and rods.

You have the sliding triangular part in the engine bay, then the concertina / Corrugated part behind the dash.

You must have 2 Universal joints in the engine bay, one by the steering rack the other before the triangular section, these need to have a bit of an angle on them. This is so in a frontal impact the rod will go up at an angle and not push straight back towards the driver.

I also had padding around the traditional RH Moutney wheel.

Hopefully if you use a Sierra wheel as mentioned above you should be OK

Cheers

Paul

Hi Mark I have a sierra steering wheel you could borrow,it does not have the horn centre but a little fabrication could soon sort that out,if you require it give me a PM. Stewart

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it was Derby where it was tested. I may take up your offer Stewart of the Sierra steering wheel. I will PM you on it. I will put on here in a bit the exact wording on the fail sheet. As it is a full Sierra steering setup with the RH Mountney Steering wheel.

Guest mdav1970

14 - Protective Steering

RS3: The steering control assembly must provide adequate protection to the driver by absorbing energy from a driver-steering wheel impact. This is the case if the steering control has an approval (evidence may be markings or documents), or is similar to an approved steering control.

Additional info: No displacement device fitted

Best to use the complete Sierra wheel / column setup as THAT has already been approved as part of a commercially built vehicle.

Note, it is NOT permitted to install airbags of any description, so if the wheel has one, you cannot use it.

Simon.