New Cam...

lockyer89

Yep, the crack was straight through a lobe. The packaging was fine, no sign of any throwing around! I've contacted Burton, been very helpful indeed, but suggested it wasn't down to the postage, but due to the material itself. I dare to think what would of happened if that broke whilst running!!!

I shouldn't have to feel lucky, I've spent about £1500 upgrading my engine, and a £200 Cam could of buggered it all! There would of been no chance of any compensation on my behalf after i installed the thing, they would have put it down to me installing it wrong! Dodgy batch of material. It's in the middle of a lobe, not a weak spot!! They've sent a new one, but i'm scared to even use it!!

Is there someone/somewhere who could do a simple non destructive test (indicator fluid and UV light) to check for cracks before you fit it?

I know you should have to do this on a new component, but a little bit of piece of mind and all that.

Might save the risk of buggering your engine if you are doubtful of the cam quality.

Would be interesting to hear Trading Standards take on this component. I know the supplier has sent a new one, but the manufacturing Quality Control has to be questioned as there could be more of these out on the market.