Twin Webber 45 Carbs

Del1968

Hi all I have decided after long thought to go for twin webber 45 complete kit includes the brand new carbs and manifold got fhe single 32/36 webber on at the min any thoughts or advice mechanic said about bike carbs but would not know where to start and what to get

Just been looking on flea bay and found complete webber 45 kit 900 quid but the found bike carbs kit from danst for 500 quid what would be better not worried about price my main points being

Look

Sound

Performance

Fuel economy

Bike carbs are much cheaper.

Both will produce about the same power.

Both will need to be set up on a rolling road with set up costs probably slightly less for the bike carbs.

The bike carbs will stay in tune but webbers tend to wander over time.

The bike carbs will be more economical on fuel.

Bike carbs should be more driveable.

Really it's no contest. IMO.

Nigel

Performance similar on both, looks a matter of personal preference, sound webers best and as for economy you had best stick with what you have already as neither will be an improvement. I am guessing webers would be worse. Do you need to change yours to get more Power? If your engine is not a high spec one you may not need to change to get the best out of it. 500 quid seems a lot never mind 900 if you won't gain anything. Don't forget you will need a rolling road session to get the best out of whatever you fit, more cost

I would of thought 500 for the carbs and manifold was a fair price as these are brand new for the bike carbs as I would be spending 200 on a manifold on its own and these come as a complete kit the webbers are a bit pricey but suppose that's the price you pay gonna be doing it as a winter project so thought about getting them now ready

I had twin 45s on my 2.1 pinto. Swapped them for a set of Yamaha R1 carbs. These give a better drive throughout the rev range and don't need adjusting every few months. Also better MPG (not a lot in all honesty, but every little counts)

Definitely going bike carbs route I mentioned in a another thread that I was getting back fire and popping from exhaust been out in it today all fine no back fire but soon as it got hot it started again and spluttering if fuel starvation then give it a few good revs and seems OK what can cause this

Guest 2b cruising

If cost is not a problem, I would go Jenvey throttle bodies.

Once set up no need to touch again unless you want to go bigger or smaller Injectors.

Some kind of ecu would be required to run them and electronic injection is a must in my mind.

Tractor on here has second hand bike throttle bodies on his Duratec powered Zero and swears by them. Over time he has gone through carbs, bike carbs and now the t bodies.

A set of Jenveys fitted and set up on my 2 lt dohc was quoted to me at £900 just over a year ago.

They are the most modern way for fueling performance engines and for that reason alone would give you the best managed and economical performance. The sound would be the almost the same as bike carbs.

If you really want a good sounding car I have just fitted a big silencer provided by GBS at just under £300.

More of a burble instead of a fart now.

Hope this spanner in the works info helps and not hinders.

Ken.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Definitely going bike carbs route I mentioned in a another thread that I was getting back fire and popping from exhaust been out in it today all fine no back fire but soon as it got hot it started again and spluttering if fuel starvation then give it a few good revs and seems OK what can cause this

When you revved it was it just in neutral or under load.

If standing still in neutral it migh go back to popping and banging when under road conditions.