Smith’S Speedometer Input

Mrbarry

I have a smiths speedometer on my zero, it works fine but with prop movement under acceleration the prop moves out of range of the sensor, its 0.1mm clear stationary so I cant move it closer. I was going to fit a 2 or 3 wire proximity sensor with 6mm range making it easier to stay in range but I have another idea Id like to try. The standard Mazda gearbox speed sender.

The Mazda sensor gives a true sine wave output that is in the frequency range of the input required by the Smiths speedometer, but Im unsure if the speedometer needs a true square wave input or will Work with a sine wave, both have rising and falling edges its just the rate of change that differs. I was hoping someone may have more experience in this area. Google searches are fruitless so far.

Other than that Ill mount a sensor on the diff monitoring the prop so it floats with the prop movement, the gap will always be a fixed xmm that way. Id much prefer to use an oem pulse tho.

On the upside when removing the consol from the zero yesterday to investigate this I discovered the Mazda box also has a neutral switch, going to wire that into the starter circuit so it cant crank if its in gear. Id be more confident to fire her up standing outside of the car that way. May add a clutch switch too so it will crank in gear if clutch depressed like a bike.

Just need to sort the speedometer reference signal now.

Tia.

So on the ford box which I have from research the black/blue wire is +12v

Brown 0v

Yellow/brown is output so connected to your speedo. Im connecting mine to a smiths prism speedo should be on the to do list this next week or 2. Hopefully the colours may be the same for you, probably wont be but worth a try. Mike.