Engine Swap / More Power

Guest 123welbourn

Guest 123welbourn

Hi, Im new to this forum . Im probably asking something that has been asked many times. Im wanting more power from my robin hood 2b. Currently has a 2.0 pinto with efi system . I thought about changing the engine for an st170 but not sure how involved that would be. Has anyone done this? Otherwise what the best mods to ger roughly 150hp out my current engine . Thanks in advance

I have a Mazda Mx5 mk1 1.8 Engine+gearbox for sale ;) about 130 bhp out the box, plenty of tuning options. ITBs superchargers, turbochargers etc etc. Plenty of people run up to 200bhp with these, just ask Tazzzman about his supercharger build done by Red 7 Engineering (steamer on the forum)

Put one in with a decent exhaust and you'll free up a few more. I have a 25 year old, 120k miles 1.6 engine in putting out 113bhp (115 standard/new from the factory) and I'm fairly sure the exhaust system recovered any loses from all that and made up for the poor intake set up I have lol.

p.s. I also have all the other running gear available too currently if you're interested in doing a complete engine swap :)

Edited by WallerZ

Guest 2b cruising

Your options are quite extensive.

Honda S2000. Excellent engine but mega expensive.

Vauxhall red top or z20 let.

V6 or v8,

As stated, Mazda are a good reliable and easily played with engine.

For me I prefer an engine as from factory design and keep within its original design limits.

Only my opinion though, as many engines have proved excellent tuning types.

All the above have been done on 7'type cars with good build blogs on this and other forum sites.

I have just posted a thread below yours, I will have a 160bhp tuned pinto engine and box available by the weekend complete which is the easiest option as it will bolt in like for like or I have the Race tuned redtop and quaife pro box which I planned on fitting which is well in excess of 220bhp but not cheap.

I know everybody will say chuck a zetec or similar in, but if it was me I'd be tempted to try something different with the pinto.

The zetec with GBS plenum and single throttle body, standard cams and an emerald ecu makes about 165bhp so I reckon that a healthy pinto with the efi plenum, single throttle body, larger injectors, uprated cam, megasquirt or similar ecu and a good mapping session should give you a healthy increase. The original Ford ecu will only handle a very slightly warmer cam amd is the real limiting factor in your set up.

A decent exhaust and possibly a cosworth throttle body (no idea if it fits, but it is ford so maybe) may produce a bit more. If a carbed pinto with a hot cam and a modified dizzy can produce 140bhp there shouldn't be any reason the above set up can't produce at least the same and maybe a good bit more.

• Like 1

Guest david_l_perry

My Pinto was 2.1l with bike carbs and race cam.....I think my pinto was measured at 125bhp at the wheels

I wanted to go for something a little different than my Pinto as well and wanted something other than a Zetec.

I have just replaced my engine and gearbox with a V6 3.0l from a jag S type. Masses of torque and power running as standard.

240bhp at the flywheel and 208bhp at the wheels. And that's running the engine stock. Its the same engine as used in the Ford mondeo ST220 and Jaguar Stype and X type but different gear box.

Still tweeking a few things (just waiting for some replacement larger cans to arrive) but its an astoundingly different drive......so much nicer, faster, and smoother....and I don't have a constant drip of oil on the garage floor anymore..... :-)

Any engine change is a lot of work, and this one had lots of other things that I had not taken into consideration.....taken a lot more time than I was expecting as well.

But to be fair, the cost was not so much as I bought a complete running Stype with MOT for less than I sold the Pinto and Type 9 box for.....

Build thread here

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=40827

Dave