Fuel Lines

Guest Peter n the better half

If i use copper pipe for the fuel lines , is it possible to run them inside the car between the side panel and the side tubes.?

Guest TerryBarry

I thought that most constructors run them down the inside of the transmission tunnel. Just under the top tubes and therefore away from the whirring propshaft.

Terry

Yes i know that . I just wanted to know if its allowed to stick it down the outside of the outer chassis tube. And ive other stuff planned for the tunnel area that wont allow the fuel pipe to run there.

Sounds interesting - care to share the grand plans?

Personally (If I've understood you correctly) I wouldn't put them down the side panels. If you have a bump then it's pretty likely they'll be severed, and the last thing you want in an accident is a severed fuel line!

How about putting them underneath the car? This should be ok, but speed bumps may catch them. This would be ok if your handbrake is in the RHE position because it will stick down more than any fuel line will, as will the support bars across the car and the rear suspension mounts.

I've seen at least one car which put the fuel and brake lines above the two chassis tubes down the centre, putting them in the very middle, close together, and spacing the tunnel cover up slightly to clear them. This may be an option, but if you have a tunnel mounted handbrake then it's a bit more difficult to sort out.

Personally I'd put them in the tunnel - you can put them under the tubes, or on the side panel, or even under the propshaft if there's room. Lots of options.

Ant

PS - How about in a seperate conduit type enclosure on the outside of the tunnel panels? Seats in the way?

Guest paul mercer

i run mine above the tunnel. i put some washers under the top panel, and the brake line, and two fuel lines fitted nicely underneath it in between the two chassis rails. Ensure there is no weld splatter on the tubes!!