Super Spec Exhaust

Guest toma94

Guest Tim Norman

I would consider changing the grille for one that is a lot more open. That one is very obstructive and may be the cause of your need for a larger cooling fan!

A very simple open style can look just as good and won't affect the cooling as much.

Edited by Tim Norman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well actually I changed the fan just because the old one broke :) since I needed to buy a new fan anyway, I decided to go for an upgrade!

Thanks for the hint though! Hopefully my actual configuration will keep the engine at the right temperature also this summer, withouth changing the grill :)

I would point out that the Superspec, unlike, it seems, every other 2B, has a tendency to run very cold (mid-70s at the moment), probably because of the huge radiator. If you have fitted an upgraded fan that might make it worse. On the other hand your tight grill will counteract that. I have a fairly open grid (6mm) and I still have to block off part of the grill to get the engine to warm up to about 85C

On the other hand, you are in Italy, with nice warm weather :) All you can do try it and watch the temperature gauge, it really should be at least well in the 'Normal' range. Alternatively use my software (http://www.rmrsoft.com/mems/index.htm) to find out exactly what temperature you are running at.

Thank you Alan :)

Actually, for some reasons, I don't have the stock radiator but a smaller one. Also, the position is different since it is in vertical position, just in front of the engine and behind the chassis tube.

At the moment I'm always running at 85-90 so I guess everything's fine for now :)

I wish you were in the UK, I would love to see how that radiator is fitted, it's something I have been thinking about for some time. I guess it was one of the changes made by a previous owner. And yes, 85-90 is absolutely perfect.

• 1 month later...
Guest toma94

Hello everybody

my car is undergoing a major rebuild

she started loosing oil between engine and gearbox so i took her to the mechanics (he's my friend and an actual race/rally car builder, he also worked in the F3 european Championship)

He found out that every engine support is broken and I didn't loose the engine thanks to some miracle.

the wiring is all messed up

the suspesions have no spacers, so they can move freely on the pivot

the fuel pipe was dangerously close to the transmission shaft

and many other things...

i decided to get everything fixed, since i want to keep the car forever (or change it with a westfield/caterham in the future)

i guess the car was not that well built, or maybe the last owner was an untamed beast of some sort

IMG_20170320_WA0021.jpg

IMG_20170320_WA0022.jpg

IMG_20170320_WA0023.jpg

IMG_20170322_WA0072.jpg

IMG_20170322_WA0073.jpg

IMG_20170322_WA0074.jpg

Guest toma94

thank you alan,

i think my friend will dismantle all the wiring and rebuild it from scratch

by the way i would check your engine mounts if i were you

the one in the front broke because of a sh!tty welding

Hi,

the cracks on the engine mounts i think have been raised in the past. It seems to be a particular problem with the stainless steel chassis (i am assuming yours is the stainless version from what i can see). I think stainless welds are more brittle or something. Whilst it may seem disappointing and put fears in your mind i have seen a westfield chassis with a broken weld on the rear suspension and that is a lot more expensive. The chassis in general is very strong and i have more faith in it over a 1inch box section style chassis if i were to hit something or get hit.

I am interested to know what kind of interest the car gets in italy? We tend to get a lot of admiring looks in the UK as even here they aren't that common.

Guest toma94

Hello,

The car gets a lot of attention in Italy.

Every time I take her out of the garage, I see a lot of people taking pictures of her when she's parked

Can't wait to have her back.

I have a friend with a Westfield SE and a friend with a caterham supersport and we absolutely have to go for a ride together

• 3 weeks later...
Guest toma94

Hey guys, i'm still alive!

Car's almost ready, i'll get her back at the end of April

i'll make a complete list of the rebuild when i'll get her back

at the moment i got a new (and bigger) copper radiator wit a built in temperature sensor

new engine gaskets all around

rewired all the electricals

new engine seals all around

reinforced engine and gearbox mounts

removal of water pump and power steering pump (why is it even there?!) in order to remove weight from the crankshaft and achieve a small amount of power

fitting of an electric water pump

i'm also getting a quote for a full gloss black vinyl wrap

can't wait to get her back on the road

IMG_20170401_153112.jpg

IMG_20170401_153116.jpg

IMG_20170401_153126.jpg

IMG_20170413_WA0049.jpg

IMG_20170413_WA0050.jpg

IMG_20170413_WA0053.jpg

IMG_20170413_WA0054.jpg

IMG_20170413_WA0055.jpg

IMG_20170413_WA0056.jpg