New Mot Rules For Diesels

Andi

My employer Royal Mail in their wisdom leased or bought a lot (talking hundreds or thousands here) of Fiat Doblo vans. Every week the engine management warning light comes on because the particulate filter has blocked in ours. You then have to go through a set procedure of pedal pressing and key turning to get the engine to rev to about 2000rpm for about 12 minutes at the side of the road with the bonnet up to clear the filter. If you dont do this promptly then another warning light comes on and it has to go back to the workshops for them to put a laptop on.

I presume this all happens because the vans are not suitable for stop start motoring. Like we do all the time!

I had a puncture and couldnt release the spare wheel carrier because it had rusted solid, not good for a 13 plate van. And dont get me started on the eco stop start system, not available half the time meaning you have to turn the key back to off and then on again even though the damn thing had decided to stop itself. Mind you it makes up for it by starting itself when you are not even in it sometimes.

The RAC chap who came to fix it once said that if Fiat can make something for a pound then they only although 99p for it!

Here endeth my review

My last car was an Alfa Giulietta....I know your pain. Stop start hardly ever worked properly, car would refuse to lock, radio would stop working, power steering, and just before I got ready of it, it started dropping a cylinder. They live up to their reps!!

Re: Diesel filter. They can't check inside the can............so an easy dodge!

Been out in one with 600 odd miles on it tonight, waiting for a collection with my feet and hands nowhere near the pedals or the wheel and it just decided to start up on its own. Disaster waiting to happen. The yard at our nearest collection depot is full of them, I can just imagine them all charging around at night on their own playing dodgems

Fiat, Fix It Again Tomorrow, been there, wouldn't touch anything Italian again, no way.

Must admit Chris, the wife recently got rid of a punto.. it was the worst car by a long shot that we have ever had. Literally every day there was something else wrong.

It became my worst enemy to date.

Andi

Been out in one with 600 odd miles on it tonight, waiting for a collection with my feet and hands nowhere near the pedals or the wheel and it just decided to start up on its own. Disaster waiting to happen. The yard at our nearest collection depot is full of them, I can just imagine them all charging around at night on their own playing dodgems

They restart if cabin temp drops too much from desired climate control. Voltage drop too causes a start (lights on etc). Why oh why am I defending them still....cause they look pruity!!!