Which Donor

Knock-on

Zach what's needed for that? New propshaft or can you use exisitng one? You going to make a new blog for it?

I will firstly update the one I have. That kinda stopped once I passed IVA haha. Tempted to keep it going to be honest as an entire Zero blog. Technically it's still a Mazda Zero...V6 ;)

New mounts, intake and adaptor for the mx5 gearbox....so far.....

Has anyone been stupid enough to look at a RX8?

In short....yes. but the cost of a rebuild if the donor was knackered was very high and then the fuel/oil consumption was also high. I'm lucky to get 150 miles from a tank with the 1.6 Mx5 engine, the RX8 would probably take me sub 100miles which wouldn't really be practical.

• Like 1

Guest ali2992

I will firstly update the one I have. That kinda stopped once I passed IVA haha. Tempted to keep it going to be honest as an entire Zero blog. Technically it's still a Mazda Zero...V6 ;)

New mounts, intake and adaptor for the mx5 gearbox....so far.....

yeah doesn't make sense to start a new one. will the mounts attach to the chassis in the same place? or do they need moving to match up with the mounting points on the engine?

I think the most complete Donor will be the MX5. Engine, Ignition, injectors, Steering, Hubs all round, Gearbox and Diff can all be used with a few other bits and bobs I believe.

Not a lot of power though. Anyone with much experience of what can be done for a reasonable cost to the 1.8 or is it worth looking at the 2.5 4 cylinder Duratec?

Guest ali2992

Not a lot of power though. Anyone with much experience of what can be done for a reasonable cost to the 1.8 or is it worth looking at the 2.5 4 cylinder Duratec?

you can turbo them relatively easily and cheaply

Yeah my intention before the V6 was the Mk2 1.8 and to supercharge it. However the V6 sounds much better, and is very different. Don't think there is a Zero with the Mazda V6 engine so will be an interesting project both to do and completed. Following a couple builds that have gone into MX5s but that's about it.

I've bought 2 MX6s as a job lot being delivered tonight so going to get one in the Zero on bike throttle bodies and then potentially look at doing a semi-rebuild of the other V6 and set it up to be supercharged or turbocharged.to see if there's space in the Zero for that too :crazy:

Guest ali2992

Yeah my intention before the V6 was the Mk2 1.8 and to supercharge it. However the V6 sounds much better, and is very different. Don't think there is a Zero with the Mazda V6 engine so will be an interesting project both to do and completed. Following a couple builds that have gone into MX5s but that's about it.

I've read a few of the builds, are you going to have the engine mounts asymmetrical to mimic the engine tilt?

I've bought 2 MX6s as a job lot being delivered tonight so going to get one in the Zero on bike throttle bodies and then potentially look at doing a semi-rebuild of the other V6 and set it up to be supercharged or turbocharged.to see if there's space in the Zero for that too :crazy:

what's the process for that? same as normal, so manifolds, ecu and pipework rerouting? you'll need 2 manifolds though I imagine!

very interested in this!

Guest tom-zero

Is there space for the v6 without chassis mods ? Or will the 2 diagonal bars need modding / removing and refitted further apart at the rear of the engine bay. V6 supercharged would be massive power in a car like this sounds fun looking forward to blog updates on this

I was considering the Mk2 1.8 mx5 engine however speaking to a couple people it sounded like it would need some modification on said chassis bar anyway. Might as well make it worth it and put the V6 in ;) I've only literally just bought the MX6s so in the process of sorting a few things out and finding a unit to start the project.

• 3 weeks later...

Standard 2.5 V6 puts out about 168bhp and 160lb.ft and you get a lot of charged mx5s put out well over 200 with standard gearbox/diff.

However looking at uprating the clutch and lightweight flywheel as I'm in the area anyway lol. But standard components would be fine