Newbie Questions On Gbs Zero

nelmo

Hi,

I've been lurking on here and other forums for a while, trying to decide on which kit to build. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the GBS Mazda Zero but before i trek up to the factory (I live in Surrey), I wanted to ask some questions. I have mailed GBS directly but these are questions they may not want to answer...;)

Im happy with the look of all their kit but, following on from another thread that suggested GBS will charge a high mark-up, would it be significantly cheaper to source the Mazda engine/diff/gearbox myself, rather than accept GBSs offer?

I dont know what they will charge for it yet but i am sure it will be more. However, maybe there are mods needed to the engine that GBS will do, so the extra cost is worth it?

(I tried to email Zac but can't seem to do that from his blog?)

Many thanks for any replies.

Edited by nelmo

RichardL - thanks (and great blog by the way, spent a very enjoyable few hours reading it :) )

CMA - the Roadrunner seems too race oriented for me and i would prefer the ally panels rather than GRP.

Ali - yes, thought about that but space is limited and I should explain that I work in IT, have minimal mechanical skills (I service my motorbike myself but thats it) and I have no family or friends even vaguely mechanically-minded. I'm totally on my own so stripping a car could take me as long as building the kit and I don't want to spend my time doing that.

Ive asked GBS for a ballpark cost - what do you all think i should be budgeting for? I need the GT chassis and i want the full weather kit....

Edited by nelmo

Guest ali2992

Yeah I agree on at least 10, I originally estimated 8,500 - but little things add up!

I work in IT too (well, technically will when I graduate this year), I'd never done anything like this before, but everyone's a 'newbie' at some point, and you learn loads by doing it yourself! Much better than buying one ready built!

Guest alfaGTA

Engine, gearbox, diff, drive shafts, hubs.... They are the relative cheap things! Rotten donors can be picked up very cheaply, bought and stripped in advance will get you used to spannering in what i assume will be a single garage plus you can get the parts refurbed and ready to fit saving you a lot of hassle trying to not cover your shiny new kit in dust and paint....

In addition if you save a few £££ buying your own donor it could be used for a supercharger once it's on the road (just saying😜)

" - the Roadrunner seems too race oriented for me and i would prefer the ally panels rather than GRP."

Take a closer look Nelmo. The Roadrunner Sr2 do do a proper road version with windscreen (I'm the first :db: ) and have covered 7K road miles todate with a few track days to boot. Car is carperted, roof, doors and a boot (small). But much lighter than a Zero. Ally panels ok, but a sod to keep looking good especially with a bit of road salt on....Grp easy to keep clean, Just ask the lads on here :acute: and £ for £ about the same costs.

Definately budget min £10-12K though (depending on spec) but add another £3-5K if GBS are supplying everything from a donor for you.

Ah, their website still says that they are working on the windscreen.

I was looking at a Tiger Avon but what put me off was the video from an on-board camera - the bonnet was flapping about like a sail at speed :wacko: . Possibly a one-off but I read his build blog and he seemed to do a very thorough job...

I then went down to the Caterham dealer and sat in an ally panelled Caterham and it felt lovely; solid and unflappable. But cant justify the £20k + for a Caterham, which is darn annoying as the dealer is 15 minutes down the road :(

Edited by nelmo