Rear Led Lights

alanrichey

A friend of mine was following me today and said that while my new high-level LED third brake light showed up well, the normal indicators could hardly be seen in the bright sunshine. So time for an LED upgrade I think.

My question is that the original cluster is mounted on a shaped rubber base that ensures the face of the plastic cluster cover is vertical. Is that just an IVA requirement or is it an MOT requirement as well ?

If it's IVA-only I assume I could mount them directly to the mudguard, with the face about 10 degs off vertical ? Or would they still need an anti-vibration mount ?

Al

LED lights are fairly directional and should be mounted to a vertical surface if you want them to shine at motorists behind you. Have you the right bulbs (21w) in your brake lights, wired correctly and checked that it is them that illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed.

Nigel

alan, if you have the standard light units, take the lens cover off and see how dirty / corroded the internal reflectors are. Mine used to leak and deteriorated. LED is an option, but light units that don't leak might also help!

• Like 1

Guest mower man

I've got LED bulbs every where sides f/r,stops,indicators but not H/lamps no problems and are very reasonable on the bay ,don't think the lot cost me above £20 mick

After playing with various light demonstrations at car shows and comparing bulb, cheap LED and decent set of LED lights go for the best you can afford, with as many LEDs as possible. LED was much better than bulbs, on my list to upgrade after engine. Power before visibility must something wrong with that decision!

You will be fine for MOT mounting directly but as already mentioned LED needs to face directly for max benefit.

might be thinking wrong but i had a feeling you need to add some electrickery to leds for indicators as they flash too fast. Normal bulbs heat/light up and the transition is gradual but LEDs are instant. Needs a resistor to slow it down. (please correct me if i am wrong)

might be thinking wrong but i had a feeling you need to add some electrickery to leds for indicators as they flash too fast. Normal bulbs heat/light up and the transition is gradual but LEDs are instant. Needs a resistor to slow it down. (please correct me if i am wrong)

You are right, there needs to be a minimum current flow to trigger the standard flasher relay and LEDs will not provide enough current on their own (unless standard LED units come fitted with a resistor ?) . But in my case it won't matter as in addition to the standard units I have two extra flasher indicator lights and an industrial strength buzzer (Got embarrassed at the amount of time I spent driving in blissful ignorance that the indicators were still flashing) . In fact when my front flasher bulb blew it had absolutely no effect on the flashing rate, it carried on as normal. :)

Edited by alanrichey

Guest mower man

Ok there are 2 ways to do it 1 insert resistors for each indicator bulb or 2 buy the correct type flasher unit . Its up to you I used resistors you may want to do the other they both work so go for what takes your fancy :crazy: mick

an industrial strength buzzer (Got embarrassed at the amount of time I spent driving in blissful ignorance that the indicators were still flashing)

on my list of things to do as my indicator doesn't cancel very well on the one side. I have to be careful to remember to manually cancel it so people don't pull out of junctions thinking i am turning in :( Think a buzzer will help.

Hi Al,

As already suggested, go for the best ones you can afford. I have the circular Hella rear LED's including fog & reverse mounted in 'pods', I am reliably informed that there is no problem seeing them in bright sunlight.

These are almost perpendicular to the road, (a minor deflection from the horizontal), but they have passed IVA & 2 MOT's with them.

There was a little fettling of the pods to get the angle right, but nothing that was too challenging.

As for vibration (which I don't think is an issue anyway), to counter this (and cover imperfections in the fettling, use thin rubber edge trim, it covers all sins!!

With the Superspec, I suspect you still have the original instrument cluster with integral indicator repeaters & are still running standard front & side indicators, so to simplify things you can get combined bulb/LED indicator relays from E-Bay for a few quid. Easier than fitting in line resistors as a straight swap of relays & job done!

If you want to go down the resistor route however, I've a pair of unused resistors you are welcome to FOC - drop me a pm if interested.

I'll post some pics of my rear end :wacko: when I can find them.

Cheers

Al

Edited by Al Milton

• 6 months later...

If I change the rear indicators to led and leave the front with bulbs will an led flasher unit still work all lights correctly or should I just fit resistors.