Rh Suspension Upgrades? Ditching Sierra Rear Arms?

Guest Bamo

Just be careful if you use the straight tie bars as I found they restricted the steering turning circle due to my wheel offset. I ended up using the ends of the Sierra ant-rollbar as they have a curve (thanks,The Duck). The turning circle improved but I still had to put stops on the steering rack to prevent rubbing. Other members don't seem to have had this problem! Also on my series 3A I found that the bracket sizes shown on the drawing wouldn't allow my tie bars to line up correctly as I have polybushed my suspension which stopped the bars from being pushed over to meet the bracket. I ended up making larger brackets.

I used straight bars with no problems but the brackets that attach to the monocoque sides are far to small.

You need them wider and a thick plate under the floor with similar inside to spread the forces or the monocoque will buckle, I also ran 25mm x 50mm box under the car joining both tiebar mounts like a strut brace.

Guest JimmyRH

Thanks for the info.. I also found another S3A driver nearby that has tiebars, So I will also check on his car how it works and fits.

At the moment, the front end is really killing it.

Second step will be a upgrade for the suspension..

I'd love to know your experience of owning/driving a seven inspired car in the Netherlands. I get a fair few looks, and interested people asking questions or saying nice car in the UK whilst our and about in my 2b, I can only imagine it's a very rare sight in NL (apart from the other 2 nearby ;) )

do you get a lot of questions/admirers?

Can you build/register kitcars in NL? Belgium i don't think allows it as i was talking to a chap who came over to pick up his kit when i was picking mine up (2002) and he said he would have to come back to the UK - register it here and then import it to belgium.

Guest JimmyRH

Yes that's correct, Belgium is more difficult. But I do not know those rules.

The past few years it has got more difficult because from 1998 we have to get MOT demands from that year, so cat, Injection, Lambda and CO2 regulation.. that's difficult with a Pinto or X flow engine. Trust me, costed me a total engine rebuild and conversion to EFI.. but, needed this engine because it was on the UK registration. Otherwise I could not have imported it. But before 1998 builds, registered correctly in the UK is no problem.

Building from new is very costly due to the CO2 tax, it is possible but will cost you more than 15/20K only Electrical or Diesel is cheaper.

Yes I get a lot of thumbs up, and small talk when we stop. Mostly I go driving with my daughter, 5 years old strapped in her child-carseat :) Also everybody looks when you drive by and walks around the car when parked... It is a bit rare here, but there are more.. Not as much as in the UK. Would love to visit the big Kitcar event next year

There are 2 active clubs in the Netherlands.. Kitcarclub.nl a mix from Westfield/RH/MNR/MK/Fury etc.
And the other club is Supersevenclub NL, but here are mostly the more expensive ones, Caterham/Donkervoort/HKT/Dax etc.

• 7 months later...
Guest Bamo
On 10/4/2018 at 7:29 AM, Snapperpaul said:

Inboard shocks on a square frame chassis doesnt look like any Robin Hood I know

What car is it?

Essex Kit Car Club is near you, get in touch on Facebook

Have just requested to join, would love to get to a meet some time. 

Guest Bamo

I've had rough costings for making the sierra rear arms adjustable via rosejointing for camber and toe I think it was if of interest to anyone. 

17 hours ago, Bamo said:

Have just requested to join, would love to get to a meet some time. 

This months breakfast meet will be at a new location which has been recommended and tried.

The Greedy Chef Cafe, 
Manor Koi Garden Centre
Pound Lane

Bowes Gifford

SS13 2JS

Pound Lane is off the west bound A127 ( from A1245/A130 Junction), just after Alton Garden Centre 

Aim to get there from 9:30am

You can join us on any Last Sunday of the month to say hello 

this is tomorrow’s meet other meets you would need to check out the Essex Kit Car club Facebook page

The Essex Kit car club was formed out of the dying embers of the Essex Robin Hood owners club, still has many new Robin Hood and Great British Sportscars in its membership and a lot of other Kit cars.