Starts, Idles, Then Dies When Warm..

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

hi,

recently got around to starting the car for a proper run, eventually it started - - needed idle adjustment to maintain 'life.

when the engine got warm the engine started dying, sounded at the time as if the fuel was been restricted, and within a short period of time the engine had snuffed itself.

the engine is (1988 vintage) 1800cc, ESC II ignition, Peirburg 2V carb. all std

Tthe engine idled and sounded quite healthy, then after a warming up <1minute the sound changed, and died - (i think its a fueling problem). The choke moves freely and opens after a min or so of running, and the accelerator pump works aswell.

Has anyone had this problem on there car.? if so, whats the culprit..

any advice . . VERY appreciated....

graci

tak.

Guest Trevor 2B

When you say 'idle adjustment' do you mean you had to wind up the tickover speed or richen the mixture? :huh:

I am running a stock 1.6 on a 28/30 Weber with a pancake air filter - had to richen the mixture considerably to get it to run right - I hadn't adjusted the mixture when I went to SVA and had a CO of 0.13!!!!!! :o

Mucked around with it yesterday and ended up with the mixture screw two turns out from the original position - suggest check the mixture. :rolleyes:

Guest Takumi

I had upped the Idle speed adjustment, I havnt touched the mixture yet, I sounded & smelt fine.

I have used in the fuel system the vapour sperator from the sierra, I might remove this and see if it helps the fuel shortage..

thnx

tak

Guest Lindsay

Hi Takumi

I had same problem with my 1989 2.0L ESCII Weber. I started engine after engine overhaul, ran ok until it started to warm up, it then would not take throttle started to run like a bag of nails. I advanced timing on dizzy and that cured it. ( I had dizzy out at engine overhaul).

HTH

Lindsay

Guest Takumi

this has been the first run since the engine was 1/2 rebuilt. The plugs are fne.

does anyone know the factory setting of the idle mixture screw.? ie. how many turns from out from fully screwed in..

thnx

tak