Mot Emission Testing For Kit Cars

Big Jim

Guest Alan_builder

Says whom?

Mark, Take a step back, read big Jims post at the top. Re read my post and repost the fact you are not correct, which you are not!!!!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this might come in useful for when the toys start being thrown....

wychwood_rogue_landing_net.jpg?rand=941411016

It's inevitible..... always is when a "i'm right..... no, i'm right" topic gets going. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, and while we're on about emissions and the no visible smoke etc..... Rob (CMA).... i'd panic mate, you've got no chance

of passing that test with soot and crap that comes out your exhaust. Is it POPPING as well? :vava:

Guest dinger

I love it!!!!!!!!!

Someone comes on and says one thing, Another comes on and says different,,,,, One guys is an an MOT tester and the other is not,,,,, But still thinks they are right,,,,,

I just dont get it !!!!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in his doctors surgery!!!!!!

Oh, and then everybody gets angry,,,,, Makes me die,,,

Guest mower man

Who is right ? risking a bo--cking from the moderaters I'm going to have my 2p's worth ,Alan it's you who should be taking a step back and rereading posts ,

mark b is an accredited tester who has the training and experience as such ok ,you seem to me to be a typical pub know it all who lets the clutch out on your mouth before engaging what is known as a brain . You did it before over a stupid issue and here you are again ,you can have as many opinions as you like but please learn not to voice them without proof or reason .

If I offend you it's tough and you can do or say whatever you like it will not worry me in the slightest

Mick Ebbs aka the mower man ex mot tester retired

Who is right ? risking a bo--cking from the moderaters I'm going to have my 2p's worth ,Alan it's you who should be taking a step back and rereading posts ,

mark b is an accredited tester who has the training and experience as such ok ,you seem to me to be a typical pub know it all who lets the clutch out on your mouth before engaging what is known as a brain . You did it before over a stupid issue and here you are again ,you can have as many opinions as you like but please learn not to voice them without proof or reason .

If I offend you it's tough and you can do or say whatever you like it will not worry me in the slightest

Mick Ebbs aka the mower man ex mot tester retired

Mick, if i may refer you to the ancient Chinese dynasty of Zhou, there lived a great mind. It belonged to one of the most

well known philosphers of ancient times gone by.

His name.... Confucius. :angel:

His wisdom can simplify your post to a brief proverb...

"Man with head up arse, can't see for sh#t "

Incoming.... :ph34r: :rofl:

Guest mower man

Mick, if i may refer you to the ancient Chinese dynasty of Zhou, there lived a great mind. It belonged to one of the most

well known philosphers of ancient times gone by.

His name.... Confucius. :angel:

His wisdom can simplify your post to a brief proverb...

"Man with head up arse, can't see for sh#t "

Incoming.... :ph34r: :rofl:

Thanks nick it's very apt ,I studied only north notts philosphy mick

Guest Alan_builder

after some confusion by test stations as to what kit cars should be tested to, I've been out and got "Chapter & verse"

See here!

1st I don't believe Big Jim is wrong, and nor did the Moderator who pinned this topic. Big Jim has put substantial documentation to the post!

2nd I don't believe my post #12 says any contradiction to Big Jim's post! If it dose please explain my error.

3rd As Mark B is a certified MOT tester he could post chapter and verse here, so we can all benefit.

4th Why has no one challenged Big Jim's post and only mine? No need to answer this point.

5th Being certified does not make what you say true! The only explanation I can offer is something like this:- In another discipline I was the equivalent of the man who would train Mark B, I went from one update session to another at the other end of the country and was updated by 2 inspectors (the next level up) who had supposedly sat on the update council and were totally different on such a technical issue. One was wrong and the other correct, a simple error with immense repercussions.

6th Yes there is no need to contradict the first pinned post unless substantiated and surely endorsed by a technical panel? All of the incorrect information and name calling shows how childish you are.

7th As we all know the MOT system is flawed, there is no link from the gas analyzer to the VOSA computer. Further some VOSA systems don't provide the test limits, that is why you need to take your documentation V5 which states the test limits (applicable at date of first build) if different from the date of first registration.

8th I don't post crap for fun. I have asked more than 1 MOT tester, yes they could have misunderstood stood my question or I there answer. Now from my own documentation and experience with many SVA and IVA's and questioning the VOSA testers and an Inspector, their information correlates with what Big Jim says. So at the moment that out weighs what Mark B says.

9th What happens if you have an accident and the MOT has been performed incorrectly? The insurance company want your MOT and find a test error, suddenly you are not insured for your loss and now you have to claim against the Test station? What a fiasco.

Lets cut the sniping and get the facts sorted.

Guest Alan_builder

How can a Q reg have an age related test? The mere fact it has been given a Q means they can determine what year it is. Doh!

As Mark says, Q plates are all visual test only, All my cars I have had on a Q that have been SVA'd have only ever had a visual. Spoke to a couple of MOT guys I know and Q is ALWAYS visual so I think you should repost the fact you are not correct, which you are not!!!!!!

;)

Why on the 18th of March 2011 did I have to prove date of manufacture of the car (V5) or date of manufacture of the engine for reduce emission tests or accept the latest test limits for 2011?

Why on the 18th of March 2011 did I have to prove date of manufacture of the car (V5) or date of manufacture of the engine for reduce emission tests or accept the latest test limits for 2011?

Did you start gobbing off at the tester, telling him he was wrong about your cars emission criteria perhaps? :diablo:

That would probably of made him want to be awkward with you.... just a thought. :spiteful:

My MOT man is either wrong or right either way i don't care as long as i get my MOT, for the record its an 83 A plate re reg in 2006. i turn up and let him do his job 4yrs running he has tested my car the same every time..... If he gets it wrong its his lookout not mine Its not my business to correct him.

peace and love peoples (back to my 75 litres of boiling wort(beer)

At times like these it pays to be short in stature & walk behind tall walls!!! As last post its a one to one with you & the mot examiner;you pass,say thankyou & drive quitely away.

Come on guys, there is no need to call each other. The MOT stations often get this wrong especially for pre-SVA cars, especially when they rarely deal with kit-cars, that's the reason for my first post.

Basically, as SVA started to come in, proof of age for the engine was needed, if the donor car was being used, then the age of that donor car sufficed,[That's why if fitting a different engine, the eng number was put onto the logbook prior to SVA] If however the kit was made from bits, then you either showed proof of the age of the engine from the engine number (many questions have been answered before on that) or if you couldn't, it was noted as the date the kit was inspected and had to comply with the requirements in force at that time.

Now I believe that any kit that went through SVA, the criteria that it was tested to for emissions was noted in the system, this then should show on the MOT test stations computer when he dials in the registration number prior to the MOT test. This would be the same for Q plates, age related, or new builds.

There are possibly some from the early start of the SVA that got missed however.

Guest Alan_builder

Thank you Big Jim. I believe you have endorsed what I said.

Any way for all you Testers and their supporters:- Take a look here Ok you still don't believe me?

So you surf to VOSA's web pages and then to the MOT testing manual or follow this link and them proceed to section 7.3 and some page downs you will find a diagram. In the bottom right hand corner is a statement about Kit Cars.

VOSA%20flow%20chart.png

Its not "me who says", its VOSA! and name calling won't change the facts.

All apologies will now be graciously accepted.

Guest MarkB

ok deep breath, the page you have kindly posted from the testers manual does not contradict anything that has been said, the point you are missing and seem to have a beef with is the Q plate factor.

always read a book from front to back, before you get to section 7.3 you have to read "Vehicle "first used" dates- application of test criteria". Now i trust a man of your reputed MOT system experience would have read/already known this information.

Is your car a Qplate? if so then i now understand your beef, your tester obviously forgot to read the book from the beginning or no longer has the autodata emission sheets hanging on his bay walls (no longer mandatory) which explains all without leaving the bay. If your not on a q plate then the tester has the right to ask for the documentation quoted. Your tester may have seen a "j" plate and presumed j plate = 91-92 of which it is, but the bet test started aug 92, j plate ended 31st july 92, simple error.

9th What happens if you have an accident and the MOT has been performed incorrectly? The insurance company want your MOT and find a test error, suddenly you are not insured for your loss and now you have to claim against the Test station? What a fiasco

now you are being silly... we are talking emissions not balljoints, but, to answer your non debatable statement....

the mot certificate holds no emission result information

The testing station does not need to hold any emission result information for standard tests or visual tests, the customer only requires a copy of a cat test result, the mot staion only keeps copies of cat and diesel tests for 3 months (i myself like to give my customers copies of any emissions tests for their records)

i have never known of an accident created by emissions.

i would go on but i need to get ready for more work.

have a nice weekend.