Overheating Probs Sorted

tractor

So you want to go 4 paddle over a normal full-face clutch for serious motorsport use. They manage heat better but they don't wear anywhere near as well, and over time they take their toll on your flywheel. I'm not here to tell you why you want one, most people here make their mind up themselves, so I'll just tell it like it is. If Helix can't make you a conventional uprated clutch and cover plate for your engine, then you will indeed need to look into something more motorsport-oriented, but if you've got issues with torque overpowering your pressure plate, then there's nothing for it but a more heavily sprung cover - and with that comes the need for big thighs (or a hydraulic clutch of course)!

Sprung or solid centre? Well, solid will give you a more direct drive and if you like slipping the clutch to get the revs up on the exit of chicanes and so forth, then I'd recommend it, it's what I run in the rally car... but for a road car, I would say no, it 'aint for you. They are snatchy :). A sprung centre will take the stress off the cover plate, particularly if it's a conventional sprung type rather than a multi-plate style... which I presume you are avoiding.

Ultimately, why do you want a new clutch, is the current one slipping under full torque? What clutch is in it right now - size, type, material, spring strength?

If you've got known torque values then Helix can advise you of exactly the clutch you need ;)

Edited by brumster

at the moment i am running 1.8 focus flywheel and clutch and when i get to about 3200rpm full boost kicks in and i hit the rev limiter at 6400rpm but gain no more forward momentum i have to do a series of yoyos with the throttle pedal to get the clutch to bite

Edited by tractor

Cool, ok, so standard clutch then. So it looks to me like Helix do 2 uprated organic clutches in 220mm, one rated to 273ft.lb and one to 365... I suspect the former will suffice ;)

No need for ceremetallc paddles, and keeps it relatively comfortable and driveable for the road, and you won't be ripping your flywheel to shreds in a few thousand miles... mind you, all depends how you drive and treat it of course :)

edit: One thing I will suggest - ring Anthony at Techcraft Motorsport (01926 403721), tell him I sent you his way, and explain your engine and the clutch, and he'll be able to advise you what's more cost effective, be it an AP or a Helix. I was going Helix on the Zero but he managed to get a better price on an AP clutch in the end... he knows his onions, I promise you.

Edited by brumster

It's in the Helix catalogue... wait one...

<rummage down back of sofa....>

Hmmm ok their website link is dead but here's one from 2014, I doubt it's changed that much... from what I can gather, the Focus 1.8 clutch is a 220mm?

http://coordsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Helix%20Racing%20Clutch%20Programme%20Catalogue%202014.pdf

C&g clutchs will make up what you want. I ran a 6 paddle ceramic until this year, I have now changed it for there new 330 series which is more usable on the road, and it will handle upto 330ft/lb so ok for me.

well i phoned helix to enquire as to witch clutch to order cos you have to buy it through one of there distributors they took my number cos they were busy and i waited most of the day for the return phone call it didnt happen so took Kerrys advice and contacted C&G clutches who were more helpful ish!!

Edited by tractor

• 2 weeks later...