Superspec Suddenly Slowing

deano266

Hi all. I was driving my superspec today with the sun out and as I was happily tootling along the car suddenly lurched as if it didn't have fuel ( clearly did as just refueled). Then it cut out not long after. I changed the earth point to check if that was the issue and still had the same result.

My question is could it be the fuel pump decided that was time as I know the car has been run dry a couple of times in the past or could it be the filter.

If you have any ideas I am open to them

Odd. First thoughts are obviously the fuel pump or filter, but in normal operation, when you take your foot off the throttle the ECU stops the fuel flow completely and that is a fairly gentle slow down, not as aggressive as you state, Might it actually be a brake problem ?

Alan is right, it sounds too violent to be an engine stopping from lack of fuel.

Brakes may be a problem....make sure that there is free play between the brake pedal actuating rod and the master cylinder, to allow brake fluid

to return to the M/C reservoir.

Is the engine overheating? could it be seizing?

I'll adjust the temperature to make it run a little cooler to see if that helps first.

I'll also chuck some redex through the system just to make sure that any clogged injectors is also ruled out.

It's quite annoying as it has been running like a dream

Well I know it's definitely not brakes as it is doing it when I have come to a stop more often. Luckily managed to get to Tesco before it completely cut out. I did adjust the temperature on the radiator and that has made no difference

This is getting more confusing each time you post :)

1. "...get it going it was on full throttle on the clear flood settings..." I have no idea what that means ?

2. "...it is doing it when I have come to a stop..." What EXACTLY is 'it' in an earlier post you said "It feels like someone has hammered on the brakes". That obviously can't happen if you have already stopped.

So is it just fuel starvation, which shouldn't cause a violent stop or do you think the engine is physically slowing down rather then free-wheeling ?

Sorry. The suddenly stopping isn't happening anymore I think that was just a case of me having the belts a little too tight and it making it feel like it was hammering the brakes.

The engine is wanting to stall when driving along almost with a jerking motion. Sometimes it can be brought back alive with a quick press of the accelerator although now I can't even get the pump to prime and I now there is fuel in the tank

you said you just refueled.... how long before that. I once took 1 litre of water out of a fuel tank after filling up at the local tescos. It's happens every now and then when their tanks get low and you get the dregs.

strangely enough cars don't like to run on water.

do you have a clear fuel filter or are you able to see into the tank with the sender removed, water looks like a separate layer at the bottom. Although it might have been sucked up into your swirl pot and no longer be in the tank.

just a thought. This site https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/water-in-gas-tank-symptomsmentions some symptoms that seem similar to what you are having.

hth