Gear Selection

Guest hcgrant

Guest hcgrant

First real drive today .. to take it for DVLA inspection. Went Ok except I can only select Rev, 1ST, 2ND, and 4TH. I cant get 3RD or 5TH. The engine/gearbox is from a 1986 1.8 Sierra. My feeling is that I havent properly fitted the gear lever into the gearbox .. which is a pain 'cause I'll now have to rip off some of the pretty bits covering the tunnel top. Any other ideas?

Sometimes 2ND is difficult.

I have slotted some spare brake pipe into the slot in the yellow clutch quadrant to enhance the clutch pedal efficiency, so I think there is no clutch drag. [Two short arcs one on top of the other and fixed with Loctite 5222 sealer/adhesive ]

Hugh :(

Guest chris brown

As you can get reverse and first I think you are correct in thinking there is no clutch drag. It is unusual to not to be able to get 3rd and 5th so in the first place remove the gear lever and check there is no obstruction in the area around where the fork fits onto the selector rod and at the same time it is worth replacing the plastic bush that fits on the selector rod (Part number P F1522783) as this if broken will give free play in the lever and may not allow the selector rod to go over far enough to engage the gears.

By the way the bush cost £1.03 inc VAT so doesn’t exactly brake the bank.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hcgrant

Thanks for replies. The gear leaver isnt being restricted and I've changed the nylon bush. I still seem to have a problem.With the car stationary and the engine off, I can get R 1 2 4. I can force it into 3 and then I can get 5 4 3. Here I cant move the gear leaver directly sideways left to get 1 2. If I push forward and left I can get 1 and then I am back to R 1 2 4. I havent yet tried the gears on the road.

I put the nylon bush back the way it was, with a little hook at the top to the rear, does anyone know if this is right?

Hugh

Does your stick look like this. I've seen one where a finger had snapped off. If that were to drop down in amongst the selectors the lump of metal form a very nice block to some gears but if you banged it round enough it might move to a slightly different position and block others. This sounds like it could be your problem. If your stick is complete a search down in the selector area with light and magnet may reveal something.

Nigel

Guest hcgrant

The gear stick end looks just like the photo above. I'm driving it now and still have the problem. I'll check to see if the gear stick has moved through the plastic ball. I've shortened the stick, cut it at the end of the old thread for the gear knob and recut the thread. (or at least a mate did).

Hugh

• 2 months later...
Guest hcgrant

Now sorted!

I have just removed the engine & gearbox and found that the selector locking plate was not located by the cover. See http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/hcgr...king-faulty.jpg . The locking plate should be retained by the cover plate and lie along the dotted line. Tried it out today and now I have all 5 gears .. such bliss!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hugh